Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/21 10:26:24 UTC

Re: Websites of retired podlings (was Re: Retired podlings with RW SVN access)

> Another option which might be cleaner and less burdensome to administer would
> be to create a boilerplate "Retired Podling" static html page which would
> replace the website for any podling which does not graduate.  This page would
> give a brief explanation of the project's history and status and point at any
> remaining resources, such as read-only SVN if the podling completed a
> successful code grant.
>
> If there is interest in that idea, I volunteer to help create the template for
> the "Retired Podling" page.

I like that idea. But we should the folder i.a.o/retiredpodling
not simply have a httpd redirect rule pointing to the incubator status page?
The state of the podling is reflected there very well and there is
even a chance to send a personal message

Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Websites of retired podlings (was Re: Retired podlings with RW SVN access)

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 07:04:31PM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:26:24AM +0200, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> > > Another option which might be cleaner and less burdensome to administer would
> > > be to create a boilerplate "Retired Podling" static html page which would
> > > replace the website for any podling which does not graduate.  This page would
> > > give a brief explanation of the project's history and status and point at any
> > > remaining resources, such as read-only SVN if the podling completed a
> > > successful code grant.
> > >
> > > If there is interest in that idea, I volunteer to help create the template for
> > > the "Retired Podling" page.
> >
> > I like that idea. But we should the folder i.a.o/retiredpodling
> > not simply have a httpd redirect rule pointing to the incubator status page?
> > The state of the podling is reflected there very well and there is
> > even a chance to send a personal message
>
> That also sounds like a decent way of handling things.
>
> My preference is still to create dedicated pages, if such pages can be made to
> look respectable and can be put into place with minimal effort by the person
> performing the retirement.  If a template contribution does not materialize in
> the next few days from me, though, redirecting to the status page seems like
> an OK fallback.

More than a week has passed and I have not managed to get a template
contribution submitted.  It's time to get out of Gavin's way and say thanks to
him for taking the initiative.

I withdraw my own proposal and endorse Christian's proposal.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Websites of retired podlings (was Re: Retired podlings with RW SVN access)

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.