Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Roger Pack <ro...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/07 18:27:09 UTC

feature request: more verbose error messages

Currently this occurs:

$ mvn exec:java
-Dexec.mainClass="org.familysearch.digitalarchive.IdisStatusWatcher"
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'exec'.
[INFO] Building monitors
[INFO]    task-segment: [exec:java]
[INFO] Preparing exec:java
[INFO] No goals needed for project - skipping
[INFO] [exec:java {execution: default-cli}]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] An exception occured while executing the Java class.
org.familysearch.digitalarchive.IdisStatusWatcher

[INFO] Total time: 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Fri May 07 10:26:01 MDT 2010
[INFO] Final Memory: 8M/123M

This doesn't give me much information as to what Exception occurred
while executing that class.

Feature request:

when it fails, output more information than normal.  In this case it
was that that particular class didn't exist--but you can't tell that
from the error output.

Thanks so much!
-rp

Re: feature request: more verbose error messages

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> The list is not a bad place to discuss ideas before you post them, to see if
> someone can provide a counter argument before it becomes a permanent record
> in the JIRA as long as you are aware that it does not formally count as
> anything more than idle talk until it is in the JIRA.

Agreed. But this was posted as "feature request" rather than "feature
discussion."

And I think everyone on this list would like to see more useful error
messages out of every piece of Maven that might possibly break. And I
believe this is being addressed (at least a bit) in M3.

Wayne

Re: feature request: more verbose error messages

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 10/05/2010 10:59 AM, Wayne Fay wrote:
>>> quite literally talking to a brick wall.
>>>
>> Really, Wayne? Literally? Where is the wall?
>>
>> -K, who thinks Wayne meant "figuratively".
>>
> But what you don't realize is that I have a special computer with text
> to speech software set up in my basement that reads all my email to
> me. And when I'm not around, only the brick walls can hear it.

Glad you clarified this. I thought it meant literally talking to a
figurative brick wall.
Ron

Posted by Kathryn Huxtable <ka...@kathrynhuxtable.org>.
Indeed. I think you made your point. I just couldn't help myself.

And to Neil, I read xkcd regularly. Sometimes it leaves me bewildered, sometimes it just doesn't work for me, and sometimes it's hilarious or insightful.

-K

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Crow, Neil NW" <Ne...@standardbank.co.za>.
Literally - http://xkcd.com/725/

> If you want this to ever be seen by someone who might possible
> implement your suggestion, you must file it in Jira. Otherwise you are

> quite literally talking to a brick wall.

Really, Wayne? Literally? Where is the wall?

-K, who thinks Wayne meant "figuratively".

Standard Bank email disclaimer and confidentiality note
Please go to http://www.standardbank.co.za/site/homepage/emaildisclaimer.html to read our email disclaimer and confidentiality note. Kindly email disclaimer@standardbank.co.za (no content or subject line necessary) if you cannot view that page and we will email our email disclaimer and confidentiality note to you.

Re: feature request: more verbose error messages

Posted by Kathryn Huxtable <ka...@kathrynhuxtable.org>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Feature request:
> when it fails, output more information than normal.  In this case it
> was that that particular class didn't exist--but you can't tell that
> from the error output.

This is not a good place to put feature requests -- they are simply
lost in the general noise of the list.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
One thing you could do is to follow what this line says:

Another thing is you could run with the -X switch which will generate lots of output, probably enough for you to see what's going wrong.

-Marshall Schor