Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sonam Chauhan <so...@ce.com.au> on 2009/03/03 00:25:21 UTC

RE: Running JMeter virtualised instances

You're welcome Oliver. Glad to get the information out there.

> Have you ever run a comparison VM to real? Did you get the same
results?

Hmmmm... Its been a long time. I was queasy about running JMeter from a
virtual instance, but I've gotta say I see no notable differences once
enough CPU and memory are reserved on ESX server.

I did notice issues when one 'system under test' (as opposed to the
system JMeter runs on) switched from real hardware to a VM - tests would
start failing randomly.

> That NTP issue you describe is an interesting one because I have had
that
> on my physical test harness too! Didn't ever think to pin this on NTP
> though.

:-) Yes, I caught onto it by /var/log/messages entries. This is from an
old email back in 2006 when I found the issue.

[[  By examining the JMeter logfile, I found a negative time value in
the last entry
======================================
<sampleResult timeStamp="1159440609176" dataType="text"
threadName="Integration Tests Thread Group 1-1" label="Post request to
translate ERP 'TU' UOM to xCBL2.0 standard" time="-4"
responseMessage="OK" responseCode="200" success="true"><assertionResult
failureMessage="" error="false" failure="false"/></sampleResult>
======================================

So I took a look at /var/log/messages on b21: it showed a the Network
time protocol log entries for NTP issues around the time the test ran.
======================================
Sep 28 21:07:53 b21 ntpd[950]: synchronisation lost
Sep 28 21:27:07 b21 ntpd[950]: time reset 3.355363 s
Sep 28 21:27:07 b21 ntpd[950]: synchronisation lost
Sep 28 22:22:00 b21 ntpd[950]: time reset -0.497615 s
Sep 28 22:22:00 b21 ntpd[950]: synchronisation lost
======================================
 ]]

> You could also make your life easy by just switching off ntpd before
> you run the test and activate it after the test again
> (provided your tests don't run more than 12 hrs because then the
> clock would be significantly off).

Good point - that's another option. My test suite runs against multiple
servers each night and lasts several hours. For us, the operations folks
disabled NTP in favour of VM host-based time synchronisation.

Regards,
Sonam Chauhan

Thanks for that! Lots of info in there. I'll mull over it in detail now.
Have you ever run a comparison VM to real? Did you get the same results?

That NTP issue you describe is an interesting one because I have had
that on my physical test harness too! Didn't ever think to pin this on
NTP though. It only happens once in a blue moon but I wondered where it
came from. So now I have an explanation. Thanks!!! You could also make
your life easy by just switching off ntpd before you run the test and
activate it after the test again (provided your tests don't run more
than 12 hrs because then the clock would be significantly off).

Cheers Oliver