Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Greg Lappen <gr...@lapcominc.com> on 2005/01/13 01:30:09 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.28 exiting randomly

Hello-

I have been tracking down this problem for a while now and finally have
some more information.  I am using Tomcat 5.0.28 on RedHat EL 3.0 with
JDK 1.4.2_06 and we occasionally find that Tomcat is no longer running
in our production server.  It runs fine for days, then suddenly the
java process disappears.  I initially thought the JVM was crashing, but
could not find any core files or log messages.

Then someone suggested to me that I install a shutdown hook with
Runtime.addShutdownHook to see if somewhere System.exit() is being
called.  Well, it turns out that it is.  Unfortunately, I don't think I
can tell in my shutdown hook where the System.exit() call occurred.  I
have reviewed our application code numerous times looking for
System.exit() calls and have not found any.

Is it possible that it is coming from Tomcat itself, or someone is able
to issue a shutdown command externally somehow?

Greg

Re: Tomcat 5.0.28 exiting randomly

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
Hi Greg,

Until you can track down the culprit, you may want to look into
the security manager to disallow System.exit calls.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/security-manager-howto.html

Are you using any 3rd party jar files?
If it's in your code, grep should find it in seconds.