Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/08/05 22:48:16 UTC

Release_0.1

Hi all

I have created branch Release_0.1, this is not intended to be a temporary
branch.

All changes we make to get the release out, goes in here and are (depending
on the change)
also done on master.

Please do not make changes on this branch, unless we have discussed it.

Peter@ you said you would do README.md and CONTRIBUTORS.md in root ?

My next steps are to update LICENSE and NOTICE files.

Then one of the IPMC release checkers have promised to look through it,
before we waste
vote time etc.

After that, we vote (Andrea provided a fab. link).

And finally it is time for the IPMC to vote (a step we bypass once we are
TLP).

Hope we can make a release this month.
rgds
jan i.

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 9 August 2015 at 18:50, Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 9 Aug 2015, at 11:26 pm, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 9 August 2015 at 18:11, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I notice that files ending in "~" can show up in the repository.  These
> >> are usually local backups of files that have been edited and should not
> be
> >> in the repository.
> >>
> > That is correct, I spent time removing them in the source zip.
>
> That doesn’t sound like a fun...

well to be honest, I was not thinking. After having removed some, I simply
did "git clone" in a new directory, a lot easier

> >> I also notice that the .gitignore does not eliminate other artifacts
> that
> >> are not needed in the repository.  I have updated the .gitignore (on
> >> master, at least) to ignore more cases of artifacts that may arise in
> >> editing and building but that are not part of the repository or released
> >> code.  Some of this may simply be valuable as documentation for what we
> >> keep out of the repository in direct form.
> >>
> > I tend to disagree here. When I edit I also do the cleanup, if we add too
> > much to .gitignore it just becomes more complex to isolate the actual
> > source.
> >
> > I will not veto that it is being done, but just state that I am not happy
> > with it.
>
> I think we should have a few more standard entries in there, including
> files ending in ~, given that these tend to show up a lot. There was
> actually a number of entries in .gitignore that got removed somewhere along
> the way which I only noticed recently. I added the notorious .DS_Store
> files which OS X loves to spray everywhere.

No problem with me....but I do have a big problem adding msc files, because
that is a real error, and should never happen. I am also strongly against
adding directories like "externals".

I have f.x.
build.win32
build.win64
build.ubuntu
build.xcode

Should I also add those to .gitignore and bother everyone else.

just my 2ct
rgds
jan i.

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Friday, August 14, 2015, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>
wrote:

> [...]

Ok, but I am only concerned about the release and for that we have dine
what is needed.

> > It would be very useful if Justin communicated here directly and we could
> > resolve any nuances of understanding with him.
> >
> MIght be, but we will not take a license discussion in here. We discuss
> whether or not the release will pass and when Justin tells me he is
> prepared to vote +1 for the source zip then I am satisfied.
>
>  I have not been discussing at all with Justin, but simply made the changes
> he asked for, and I suggest we as podling do not question that judgement.
> Whether or not link dependencies should be included in the LICENSE in
> general is outside our scope.
> <orcmid>
>   I think it would be good to have such discussions/requests recorded on
> our public list, whatever their nature.
> </orcmid>

 have a look at the commit log, every suggestion from justin ended in a
commit. Again there have been no discussion, in that case I would have made
it public (as I did with the first response from justin).

You see the same thing happening with the findings from Daniel.

rgds
jan i

RE: Release_0.1

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> With regard to the question asked below,
>
> My only wish about the voting process is that there be enough time for
> anyone to vet the release candidate.  Also, votes should not be based on
> sentiment but by actually checking the release candidate in some way
> (verifying digital signatures and hashes, verifying the code installs in a
> fresh machine, verifying that whatever builds and tests by following the
> instructions works without incident other than limitations described in any
> README, etc.).  This is a [P]PMC responsibility, although it will be nice
> if others on this list also did so.

would 7 days be sufficient ?

> It is likely that members of the Incubator PMC will do the same.

This is a separate issue, not connected to our voting period. But
considering that we are 2 IPMC members (Dave and I) that are also PPMC, 1
IPMC member that are mentor (Daniel) and 1 IPMC (Justin) are controlling
the release in advance, I do not think that vote will be a problem.

> Possible Clarification
> ----------------------
>
> I think that if binaries are provided, the LICENSE and NOTICE files that
> install with the binaries must reflect the license conditions on everything
> (and only that) included in the binary distribution.  A README or related
> file and to acknowledge contributions and dependencies is useful for
> information that is not legally required in NOTICE.

We do not provide binaries. If you think of a compiled version of corinthia
it is not part of the release but made available e.g. by PPMC members.

> I don't understand "- If we only link to a third party library and do not
> include it in the license, we do not need to mention it anywhere (as is
> this is no legal issue)."  Do you mean "If we only link to a third party
> library and do not include it in the [source] code ..."?

I did did mean "LICENSE" file, but your wording is better. Justin made me
aware that if you only link to a library, and do not include it in the
source zip, it does not belong in LICENSE. We do not supply any third party
libraries in binary form (we supply a single in source form, and that is
mentioned in LICENSE)

> Also, if it is a mandatory dependency in order to build the released
> source into a functional result, license of the third party library still
> matters with regard to ASF policy (which goes beyond what is legally
> required).

Well is Justin tells me it has no legal effect and should not be mentioned
in LICENSE; then I do believe him (he wets 5-6 releases every month, so he
surely have more experience).

Anything that is included in the source, must be  described in
LICENSE/NOTICE, anything not included in the source does not belong in
LICENSE/NOTICE. If we were to document "in order to build the released
source in a functional result"; we should also include the tool chain.

RE: Release_0.1

Date: 13 August 2015 at 12:00
To: "dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org" <dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org

Hi

Sorry for top posting.

Justin have been an enormous help in getting the licenses etc correct,
there was a couple of new things to me.
- If we only link to a third party library and do not include it in the
license, we do not need to mention it anywhere (as is this is no legal
issue)
- I wanted to play fair to our users, and have made a LINK_DEPENDENCY file
- DEVELOPERS got a short description of why these names and not others.

I hope I have just sent the last version to justin for checking and then
get started on the voting process (2 fold, first us, then IPMC).

Are there any special wishes regarding the voting process ?

Please remember a release cannot be vetoed with a -1.

rgds
jan i.

[ ... ]

Re: Fwd: Release_0.1

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 14/08/2015 jan i wrote:
> - DEVELOPERS got a short description of why these names and not others.

Would (it is a question, not a proposal) naming it "THANKS" be better?
So that the file remains the same, but it is more flexible for future
use. Like it happens for any non-required choice, the best
implementation is the one that can avoid all possible controversy...

I would add the @apache.org e-mail address to developers listed in the
file, since this is helpful for auditing reasons (i.e., it exposes the
fact that all developers are Apache Committers, thus have an ICLA on
file, thus reviewers won't worry and won't be confused).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Fwd: Release_0.1

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by Gabriela Gibson <ga...@gmail.com>.
You could always have your personal .gitignore and use a script to
reclone your stuff and then copy your personal preference over.

Linux example: https://github.com/apache/incubator-corinthia/blob/master/scripts/build-corinthia-on-linux

just add a line for your favourite .gitignore.

(we could do with a version of that script for windows btw, hint hint :-)

That said, there has been more than one times when a ~ file saved my (bad) day.

As an idea, would it make sense to offer a choice of .gitignore files
since there is a plethora of systems that ppl use?

--
Visit my Coding Diary: http://gabriela-gibson.blogspot.com/

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

RE: Release_0.1

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 9 Aug 2015, at 11:50 pm, Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> I also notice that the .gitignore does not eliminate other artifacts that
>>> are not needed in the repository.  I have updated the .gitignore (on
>>> master, at least) to ignore more cases of artifacts that may arise in
>>> editing and building but that are not part of the repository or released
>>> code.  Some of this may simply be valuable as documentation for what we
>>> keep out of the repository in direct form.
>>>
>> I tend to disagree here. When I edit I also do the cleanup, if we add too
>> much to .gitignore it just becomes more complex to isolate the actual
>> source.
>>
>> I will not veto that it is being done, but just state that I am not happy
>> with it.
>
> I think we should have a few more standard entries in there, including files ending in ~, given that these tend to show up a lot. There was actually a number of entries in .gitignore that got removed somewhere along the way which I only noticed recently. I added the notorious .DS_Store files which OS X loves to spray everywhere.

Actually I’ve just had a look at the latest .gitignore and I think some of the entries do not belong there. Things like .DS_Store and *~ which would reasonably exist in the source tree are fine in my opinion, but for example *.sln, *.vcxproject etc are not, since they are supposed to be inside other directories. On my setup I have a “build” (for OS X) and “winbuild” (for Windows) directories (on my Linux VM I use a separate dir); these just show up as “untracked files” which do not cause problems.

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.

Re: Release_0.1

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 9 August 2015 at 19:19, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>
wrote:

> I have no objection to external/ being removed altogether.
>
> I did not know for certain that it is no longer being used.
>
> I think it showed up as uncommitted content on my system because I had
> material there from an older build.  That was useful in hunting down
> iconv.h, though[;<).
>
> I have removed the external/ directory in my clone.  That should resolve
> that one case.
>
> I'll remove the clause in .gitignore.

thanks for correcting this.

Would you please also remove the microsoft files (.sln) etc, as peter
explained, those should not be ignored, it is a real error if they appear
outside build*

And the iconv.txt file, which basically referred to external (and I have
corrected the only other reference).

rgds
jan i.

RE: Release_0.1