Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Kahlau <mk...@web.de> on 2006/01/03 12:22:04 UTC

How works server-side tab switching and how to use it?

Hi!

Does anybody know how server-side tab switching works, what the advantage of
server-side tab switching is, and how to use it?

When I only set serverSideTabSwitch="true", I don't get the behaviour I
expected, but maybe I do expect sth. wrong and the contents of all tabs are
contained in the response for one tab, regardless of the tab-switch setting.
Or are there any additional configurations necessary?

And is it possible to NOT render the button for the active tab label when
using server-side tab switching?

And can you please describe how to change the font formatting of the active
tab label? I tried several settings by using the CSS attributes of
panelTabbedPane and panelTab, but without success...

Regards,

Matthias

AW: How works server-side tab switching and how to use it?

Posted by Matthias Kahlau <mk...@web.de>.
Hi Marco,

many thanks.

>As i understand when the serverSideTabSwitch="true" the rest of tabs will
be rendered inside <div> which has a style sheet with visibility=hidden, but
this is not the expected >behaviour. I expect that when clicking on a tab
then its page will only be rendered.

I think I have read a post about server-side tab switching where was stated,
that only the active tab will be rendered, and not the other tabs, so I just
wondered why this is not the case. Is the behaviour I could observe the
behaviour intended, or is this a bug? What's the difference between
server-side tab switching and client-side tab switching? Maybe somebody can
give us more details.

>Why you don't want to render a button for the tab label ? is it a UI issue
?

With client-side tab switching, no buttons are used at all for the tab
labels, and I just wondered why this is the case with server-side tab
switching? I think using a button for the active tab makes no sense. Why
should I press the active tab when it's already displayed. I think there are
better possibilities to highlight the active tab, if this is the cause of
the current implementation. For the inactive tabs, no buttons are used with
server-side tab switching and client-side tab switching. I think, that's ok
if it's possible to change the formatting of the tab labels (e. g. render as
a link), but in my opinion buttons would make more sense here then for the
active tab...

An option to configure the style of the active tabs, e. g. by specifying
some value of a panelTabbedPane attribute, would be highly appreciated (e.
g. activeTabControl="button | link", inactiveTabControls="button | link").

Regards,

Matthias