Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2014/01/04 17:52:34 UTC

Re: OFBiz In 2014

To be pragmatic, rather than working on new features, a new framework or whatever, I'd like to work on "Widget & Application HTML clean-up" https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5040

I have heard much complaints about this and I'd really like to 1st replace as much as possible the Freemarker templates used in backend by widget forms.

I know already some cases where it's impossible, like the geo location.
But in most cases this should be possible and would much facilitate designers work, when themes or such are needed.
Because we would then have a consistent HTML generation.
And in most cases even a better (consistent) UI, compare the old Price Rules and Promotions for instance
(still available at
https://demo-old.ofbiz.apache.org/catalog/control/EditProductPriceRules?productPriceRuleId=9000
https://demo-old.ofbiz.apache.org/catalog/control/EditProductPromoRules?productPromoId=9000
)

Because it contained a new FTL template, I recently refused to commit a working patch for "Improve to allow purchase order ship method options"  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5387

I though must say that I still want to finish pending new features (actually 2 new specialpurpose components)

1) I expect to merge the seo branch soon https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5312.
I only see minor issues now, and anyway at some point you need to have your feet wet...

2) And to finish the Solr integration https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5042.
 I sill have to figure out how bad is the security issue. In a first step adding a credential acces to the the Solr admin should be enough. But yes underneath is not totally secured as is...

Jacques

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:55 PM adrian.crum@sandglass-software.com wrote

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, maybe indeed

Jacques

On Saturday, January 04, 2014 7:03 PM adrian.crum@sandglass-software.com wrote

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Gavin I added you in the related section

Jacques

On Saturday, January 04, 2014 6:28 PM, kwikstore@gmail.com wrote

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 5, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Re: slimdown*
> The path set in the recent past regarding slim down is a good path. This
> should be continued. But, slim down should not be  about only focussing on
> the framework. More visibility on the website should be created regarding
> vision and roadmap. In the past also several apps/components/functions have
> been earmarked as eligible for slimdown roadmap, but little actions have
> been undertaken.

I agree that a lot more still needs to be done, but we actually did a lot of progress in this directions if we look at release branches, rather than the trunk: in fact the new release branch 13.07, that will generate the new releases (the first one will be released in a few weeks), is considerably lighter that the previous releases.
This trend can be better appreciated by considering the approx sizes of release tarballs:

09 releases: 58MB
10 releases: 93MB
11 releases: 112MB
12 releases: 113MB
13 releases: 83MB

If I well remember, the slimdown effort started between 11 and 12: it took some time to stop the uncontrolled growth trend and move in the other direction.
It is important to focus on quality: I still see too many commits that would not meet the minimum quality standards of any decent software company and I really would like to see this resolved; our goal should be that the quality of OFBiz code, and all its commits should shine in perfection.

Jacopo

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 5, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With regards to integration with other solutions I would like to see the
> uptake of a solution like Apache Shiro regarding authentication,
> authorization, etc.

+1

Jacopo

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
It seems that a lot of links in the
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Documentare
broken.

Besides this, if (and when) subjects are to be removed the short
descriptions of the subject should move to somewhere else.

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 1:03 AM, Jacques Le Roux <

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Thanks Jacques! That looks much better.

I agree with Pierre that we need to contact the people who expressed
interest in the Roadmap items. I believe some of those items are
finished (like VAT and Accounting) and some of the people are no longer
active in the OFBiz community (like Si Chen).

 From my perspective, keeping those items there indefinitely with no

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Done, please double-check

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
First of all, let me say that it is good to reflect on the roadmap again.
This should be done at regular intervals.
Secondly, I feel that this thread should have been initiated in the other
mailing list. Though many may follow this mailing list, not all do.
Discussions regarding vision and roadmap should involve all members of the
community.
Thirdly, I feel its a pity that many of the PMC and Committers don't jump
to the gun to share their opinions, visions and insights regarding the
future.

Apart/beyond the above I herewith share (some of) my thoughts on the more
technical topics the roadmap for 2014 and beyond should address.

I agree with Adrian and Jacques on the subject of CMS. Transformation of
OFBiz to solutions like Drupal et al is not needed. However, these
solutions have an evolved set of functionalities in order to integrate
components/plug-ins/add-ons, whether they are in the area of themes or
bespoke solutions like payment and shipment processors and others.

If I am correct, solutions like the big-fish (by Nick Rosser and his team)
, and the add-on manager (in Apache Extra - by the people of Nereide) are
steps in that direction. Maybe we can learn from these and others and
expand on them.

*Re: slimdown*
The path set in the recent past regarding slim down is a good path. This
should be continued. But, slim down should not be  about only focussing on
the framework. More visibility on the website should be created regarding
vision and roadmap. In the past also several apps/components/functions have
been earmarked as eligible for slimdown roadmap, but little actions have
been undertaken. I believe this has to do with fear. Fear that OFBiz is on
a path of self-destruction (becoming a framework-only solution, as seen
from the original viewpoint of the project), or - when not in a
framework-only roadmap - that there will be a diminished ownership by the
project. More communication regarding this issue should be undertaken.

As for payment and shipment processors, these all should move from current
place in applications (accounting and product) to hot-deployable components
(per payment processor, per shipment processor).. This way, each processor
can be selected and deployed when needed. It also creates more visibility
regarding the flexibility of the system, due to the fact that there are
plugins available that cater to customers/users specific needs. Plus it
might attract new solution developers to build/maintain these optionals.
But that requires more and unified communication.

I recently undertook the endeavour to move the iDEAL payment processor from
accounting to Apache Extra (see issues
OFBIZ-5303<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5303>
 and OFBIZ-5443 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5443>), and
after evaluating the solution I came to conclusion that it is
broken/malfunctioning in its current design. While it is a pity that it is
as it is, and a shame that it was incorporated in accounting without
due-diligence, it is good that it is moved (as part of slimdown). It
improves the quality of the base component and makes the solution more
accessible. When more specific solutions move this way, the better it is.
Perceived quality of the total package is then less defined by the
individual component/solution/function (depending of course on the
viewpoint of the viewer).

*Focus should (also) be on performance, scalability and configurability*
Good performance increases the user experience. This involves both
Above-the-Line (screen build up - client side) and Below-the-Line (data
retrieval, logging, mail processing, etc - server side).
Regarding AtL (Above-the-Line)  this means leaving the concept that we
should only have web 1.0 functionality in components and apply web 2.0
functionality more and more.
Good performance also means minimizing the loops to include javascript
functions in screens and forms. Think of the date and lookup renderers. Per
line in overviews these functions are included whereas they could (and
should) be in a javascript file and called from there.

Of course, given the number of screens and forms in all the components this
means a lot of work, but Rome wasn't built in one day either.

Regarding BtL (Below-the-Line) this means more (better?) scalability
functions, but also configurability of where and when functions and
processes should be executed. Of course, this is related to multi-server
setups and multi-tenancy implementations.
This should also include deployability on external servers. This seems to
be broken and outdated.

Regarding configurability I see that we currently have over 1200
configurable properties in .properties files. Some of these are used for
startup, some for development, some for deployment and some for testing.
And there are overlapping situations. But the majority of the properties
are to be used in production environment. In single (internal)
organisation,  single tenant (default)  and single server setup this is ok
as it works. But in a multi (internal) organisation, multi tenant and multi
server setup this is inadequate. In such scenarios the default values on
user, organisation and tenant level must also be set and act like in
.properties files act like failovers

Properties like accounting.payment.salesorder.autocreate,
finaccount.decimals, java.naming.provider.url (for ldap configuration) and
eventReminders.emailFromAddress, to name but a few . Though I haven't gone
through the entire list extensively to date and Adrian stated in a comment
regarding issue
OFBIZ-5458<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5458> that
several (property defined) values are retrieved from database as an
override to the property definition, but where it is done is ambiguous and
un-clear.

In my opinion this should work as follows:
1. retrieve from user preference, with failing over to
2. retrieve from organisation preference/setup, with failing over to
3. retrieve from tenant preference/setup, with failing over to
4. retrieve from .property file

I believe this should be taken up, thus ensuring that it get clearer where
and when a value is retrieved. Ensuring also increase of quality and
decrease of ambiguity.

*Re: maintainability*
Over the past year several add-ons have been included in Ant build
functions to use Apache Ivy as the engine to download jars required by
specific functions. E.g. for PostgreSQL Activemq, Cobertura and Sonar. This
should be expanded more, as it lessens the burden on maintenance and size
of  svn checkouts and distributions. Given that always a build phase is
required when having downloaded OFBiz, this build phase could retrieve the
jar (and other) files required. Using Apache Ivy more, could also
circumvent the licensing issues regarding external products, as none of the
external products are actually included in distributions.

*Re: integrateability*
With regards to integration with other solutions I would like to see the
uptake of a solution like Apache Shiro regarding authentication,
authorization, etc. Especially related to multi-tenancy.
In general, the pool of solutions in the Apache Marketspace (top level
project, etc) is vast and I would say that there are plenty that could be
integrated with. And we already re-use a lot of functionalities of other
products. But this could go further.

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
No, the issue isn't closed. I was merely expressing an opinion. This
type of thread is all about everyone sharing their ideas and opinions
and when we find a consensus or general support for an idea we add it to
the Wiki page. So, please don't feel like I am shutting the idea down.

I agree the eCommerce application needs work, and I agree its appearance
could have an effect on adoption.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Gavin Mabie <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrian

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I plently agree, this is what http://www.cato-commerce.com/ do for instance
OFBiz ecommerce frontend is just there to show what's possible to do with OFBiz in this area.

Jacques

On Saturday, January 04, 2014 7:09 PM adrian.crum@sandglass-software.com wrote

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Young Gu <hy...@gmail.com>.
Freemarker? For template, thymeleaf maybe a better alternative, it's UI
designer friendly.

Cheers
Young Gu | Senior Software Engineer | www.infor.com <http://killgfw.com/>

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 2:09 AM, Adrian Crum <

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.
Heartily agreed. At Brainfood we also feel it is a better strategy to integrate with those systems than to compete with them. That is the direction we have been moving in with our client development work.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Gavin Mabie <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Looking at it another way, with screen widgets you can replace the
existing FreeMarker macros with your own - so the UI can look like anything.

I recently did that for 1Tech Ltd - where I replaced the HTML markup
with Sencha JavaScript.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
For instance you could there share your thoughts about VisualThemeResource...

Jacques

On Monday, January 06, 2014 2:45 PM, adrian.crum@sandglass-software.com wrote

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Raj,

I added your propostion in the section
Services exposed as RESTful web services

Jacques

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:29 AM, rajbsaini@yahoo.com wrote

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com>.

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.
Yes. I do have interest in the UI approach. You might just call it
"client UI refactoring".

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Thanks for the info - that was informative!

I'm still not sold on keeping the DOM tree though. I seem to recall Adam
Heath doing a memory-use analysis a few years ago and he discovered that
even keeping a reference to a String from the DOM kept the whole tree in
memory. That is why he did all those String.intern()s in the models. I
can't be sure though, my memory is a bit foggy on that.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com>.

Posted by ad...@sandglass-software.com.
Quoting "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com>:

> On Jan 6, 2014, at 12:26 PM, adrian.crum@sandglass-software.com wrote:
>
>> There are two problems with using DOM trees in OFBiz:
>>
>> 1. They consume a lot of memory. Keep in mind the entire XML file
>> is kept in memory, not just the bits you are interested in.
>
> The parsed version is kept in memory, that is true, but for each
> screen/form/etc you just keep the node object for the top-level
> element. Under that element the only stuff it would keep around by
> default that you don't need/want (but could be eliminated with a
> little code) is comment elements.
>
>> 2. They are not thread-safe.
>
> They should be used read-only, so unless someone does something
> funny thread safety isn't an issue. On that note, the same is true
> for the shared objects in the current OFBiz widget implementations.

And that is the problem we have now. Many contributors/committers will
not understand what should and shouldn't be done with DOM nodes, and
consequently they will do things they shouldn't. History has proven
that, given the opportunity, OFBiz developers will "do something
funny" with the code.

Over the last few years, the framework code-base has been moving
toward immutable shared objects, and I think that is the safest
strategy to use. We have fixed numerous bugs going that route.

I understand your perspective and I appreciate it - make code
thread-unsafe for the sake of convenience. But that strategy exists
currently in OFBiz legacy code and it keeps hurting us.

What I find interesting about your proposal is how similar it is to
what I proposed years ago - make the widgets lightweight
representations of their XML files. The screen widget models would
contain Lists of model Elements, and the model Elements would contain
Maps of Element Attributes. At the time you rejected that idea - you
said performance would suffer by making the widget models that
generic. Now you're suggesting we skip the models altogether and just
use the DOM tree. So, what has changed your opinion?

-Adrian

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com>.
I can't think of any reason to do it different from how it is now, ie the "parsed" version of the files are cached by their filename which is independent of the tenant. You can have files that are used by only one tenant, but any files that are used by more than one would be shared.

-David

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Re: OFBiz In 2014

Posted by "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com>.