Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Arjan Schrijver <ar...@anymore.nl> on 2007/03/02 16:08:39 UTC

FuzzyOCR only works in SA debug mode

Hi list,

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask this question, if it is please
say so.
I have a very strange problem with FuzzyOCR in combination with SA.
Because FuzzyOCR didn't work on my MailScanner machine, I started
experimenting by running spamassassin by hand like this:

$ spamassassin -D < spamtestmail.txt

Everything works correctly when I run it this way. I get the debug output
from SA and it shows that FuzzyOCR runs and detects the image spam.
It also outputs the mail again at the bottom including the new spam scores.

Now I run spamassassin in normal mode on this file, like this:

$ spamassassin < spamtestmail.txt

The scores are exactly the same as with the debug command, with the
exception that FUZZY_OCR is not in there. The AWL score is also different
on both runs.

So here is my question: when SpamAssassin is run in debug mode, does
it use another (or the default) configuration? If so, how could I configure
the 'normal' run to also include the FuzzyOCR checks?

Thanks in advance,

Arjan Schrijver

Re: FuzzyOCR only works in SA debug mode

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
Arjan Schrijver wrote:

> I have a very strange problem with FuzzyOCR in combination with SA.
> $ spamassassin -D < spamtestmail.txt
>
> Everything works correctly when I run it this way. I get the debug output
> from SA and it shows that FuzzyOCR runs and detects the image spam.
> It also outputs the mail again at the bottom including the new spam scores.
>
> Now I run spamassassin in normal mode on this file, like this:
>
> $ spamassassin < spamtestmail.txt
>
> The scores are exactly the same as with the debug command, with the
> exception that FUZZY_OCR is not in there. The AWL score is also different
> on both runs.

FuzzyOcr has a parameter for not doing anything if the score is already high:

# This is used to disable the OCR engine if the message has
# already more points than this value
# Default value: 10
#focr_autodisable_score 30

In debug mode FuzzyOcr sets this parameter to 100 (or 1000 I don't remember),
that explains what you see one way and not the other way.
--
René Berber