Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/06 03:50:13 UTC

Yet another way to build !

Hi All,
   I am afraid that I have yet another way to do an M2
build! It uses a dummy pom, which copies a jar from
.maven to .m2 repo. It does not disturb any thing
produced by m1 build.
1. The attached pom can be added to ALL the modules
that do not have a pom.xml by editing <artifactId> and
<name>.
2. Do mvn install from top level, and now all the jars
and poms (incomplete) will be in m2 repo.
3. Pick your favorite module, I know there are so many
of you who would like to try one!
  cd a-module
  mvn install
    The advantage here is that no one needs to depend
on any one elses module! I just got it to work. If
there is interest in doing this, I will spend some
more time to see if there are any other issues.
         Comments welcome.

Thnaks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/6, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>:

>  Automatically copying jars from a maven 1 repo for maven 2 builds is not
> the way to go.  I would work on another module rather than introduce this
> nonstandard workaround into our m2 POMs.

Alan's right. I think that we can afford yet another strange thing in
our build, just to complicate it even more. There's enough work to do
with the conversion that clearly indicates that that's not very easy
to grasp, not to mention to support it.

Now, after some days of working on the conversion, I see how much work
it required and really appreciate Dave J.'s work to have got it
running (well, there're others who contributed, but ASAIR Dave was the
one who made it all working, and thus his name is mentioned explicitly
;)).

>  Alan

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
     I have lost track of the context for this.. Today
I am working with the original poms. I am working
bottom up. The build failed at derby. I have not tried
tomcat yet. There are 2 patches attached to the
issues:
j2ee-schema and security. Will get back to you.

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
   I have commented out system and j2ee-schema and
doing
>mvn install
   I get this error. The trace is attached. Any idea?
[INFO] Building Geronimo :: J2EE
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO]
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] Using default encoding to copy filtered
resources.
Downloading:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.geronimo/poms/geronimo-system-1.2-SNAPSHOT.pom
Downloading:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.geronimo/jars/geronimo-system-1.2-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

required artifacts missing:
  org.apache.geronimo:geronimo-system:jar:1.2-SNAPSHOT

for the artifact:
  org.apache.geronimo:geronimo-j2ee:jar:1.2-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  maven1 (http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/),
  Apache CVS
(http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository),
  snapshots
(http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2),
  apache-cvs (http://cvs.apache.org/repository)

[INFO]
[INFO] For more information, run Maven with the -e
switch
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 32 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Mar 06 20:28:37 EST 2006
[INFO] Final Memory: 10M/20M
[INFO]
.........<snip>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

--- ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:

> Glad I could help :)
>
> Remember, if you're going to be deploying plugin
> snapshots to your M2 repo,
> you need to tell maven:
>
> <repository>
>       <id>maven2</id>
>       <url>path/to/maven2/repo</url>
>       <layout>default</layout>
>       <snapshots>
>             <enabled>true</enabled>
>             <updatePolicy>always</updatePolicy>
>             <checksumPolicy>ignore</checksumPolicy>
>       </snapshots>
> </repository>
>
> It's better to be hated for who you are
> than loved for who you are not
>
> Ian D. Stewart
> Appl Dev Analyst-Advisory, DCS Automation
> JPMorganChase Global Technology Infrastructure
> Phone: (614) 244-2564
> Pager: (888) 260-0078
>

>                       "Jacek Laskowski"
>

>                       <eljotpl@gmail.co        To:
>     dev@geronimo.apache.org
>
>                       m>                       cc:
>

> Subject:  Re: Yet another way to build !
>
>                       03/06/2006 01:54
>

>                       PM
>

>                       Please respond to
>

>                       dev
>

> 2006/3/6, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com
> <ia...@jpmchase.com>:
> > Anita, Alan,
> >
> > Is there a reason that you can't reference the M1
> repo directly in your
> M2
> > POM?

   Yes, my source is different from the repo. I am a
bit hesitant to mix few jars from the repo with the
local ones. But the jars in question, i.e. system and
j2ee-schema should be OK. I will test it later and
report.
       Thanks! referring M1 repo will work for most
people.

Thanks
Anita

> Thanks Ian! I thought we had it already and whenever
> I came across
> troubles with Maven1 stuff I didn't realize that's
> because *that* was
> missing. Many thanks!
>
> $ svn ci pom.xml
> Sending        pom.xml
> Transmitting file data .
> Committed revision 383614.
>
> Anita, can you try it again if that change solves
> the recent problems
> with the tomcat module.
>
> On to applying the patches...
>
> > Ian
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Laskowski
> http://www.laskowski.org.pl

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.

                                               Subject:  Re: Yet another way to build !
                      03/06/2006 01:54
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      dev

2006/3/6, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com <ia...@jpmchase.com>:
> Anita, Alan,
>
> Is there a reason that you can't reference the M1 repo directly in your
M2
> POM?

Thanks Ian! I thought we had it already and whenever I came across
troubles with Maven1 stuff I didn't realize that's because *that* was
missing. Many thanks!

$ svn ci pom.xml
Sending        pom.xml
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 383614.

Anita, can you try it again if that change solves the recent problems
with the tomcat module.

On to applying the patches...

> Ian

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/6, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com <ia...@jpmchase.com>:
> Anita, Alan,
>
> Is there a reason that you can't reference the M1 repo directly in your M2
> POM?

Thanks Ian! I thought we had it already and whenever I came across
troubles with Maven1 stuff I didn't realize that's because *that* was
missing. Many thanks!

$ svn ci pom.xml
Sending        pom.xml
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 383614.

Anita, can you try it again if that change solves the recent problems
with the tomcat module.

On to applying the patches...

> Ian

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Anita, Alan,

Is there a reason that you can't reference the M1 repo directly in your M2
POM?

Example:

<repositroies>
      <repository>
            <id>maven1</id>
            <url>path/to/maven1/repo</url>
            <layout>legacy</layout>
      </repository>
</repositories>

HTH,
Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      "Alan D. Cabrera"
                      <list@toolazydogs        To:       dev@geronimo.apache.org
                      .com>                    cc:
                      03/06/2006 01:04
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      dev

anita kulshreshtha wrote, On 3/5/2006 7:40 PM:

      --- "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

            I'm not sure that I like this.  Consider this a
            technical veto.

            Let us focus our efforts on a a clean m2 build, not
            stop gap measures
            like this one listed below.

          Here is how my effort is progressing :
          I wanted to work on tomcat, I was able to build
      and test by manually copying the required jars in the
      repo.
      I could have waited for security, interceptor,
      security-builder etc... Then I started working on
      security, it needs a new version of maven and new
      version of surefire plugin which Jacek built from the
      source. The j2ee-schema is not building. I can not do
      tomcat-builder. I am going to use this to replace the
      pom.xmls that break the build. And I think that others
      can do the same.
           IIUC you are objecting to adding it to all the
      modules with missing pom.xml because it might create
      confusion about which modules need to be worked on. I
      do not understand how this makes the build unclean.
      Could you be more specific please?

Automatically copying jars from a maven 1 repo for maven 2 builds is not
the way to go.  I would work on another module rather than introduce this
nonstandard workaround into our m2 POMs.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
The system module has a test failure, how can I be
sure that the jar generated by skipping the tests is
good. and so on..

Thanks
Anita

--- anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > jars
> > >and poms (incomplete) will be in m2 repo.
> > >3. Pick your favorite module, I know there are so
> > many
> > >of you who would like to try one!
> > >  cd a-module
> > >  mvn install
> > >    The advantage here is that no one needs to
> > depend
> > >on any one elses module! I just got it to work.
> If
> > >there is interest in doing this, I will spend
> some
> > >more time to see if there are any other issues.
> > >         Comments welcome.
> > >
> > >Thnaks
> > >Anita

> > >Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
> > protection around
> > >http://mail.yahoo.com

> > ><?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
> > ><!--
> > >
> > >    Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation
> > >
> > >    Licensed under the Apache License, Version
> 2.0
> > (the "License");
> > >    you may not use this file except in
> compliance
> > with the License.
> > >    You may obtain a copy of the License at
> > >
> > >       http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
> > >
> > >    Unless required by applicable law or agreed
> > in writing, software
> > >    distributed under the License is distributed
> on
> > an "AS IS" BASIS,
> > >    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND,
> > either express or implied.
> > >    See the License for the specific language
> > governing permissions and
> > >    limitations under the License.
> > >-->
> > >
> > ><!-- $Revision$ $Date$ -->
> > >
> > ><project>
> > >  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
> > >  <parent>
> > >    <groupId>org.apache.geronimo</groupId>
> > >    <artifactId>geronimo</artifactId>
> > >    <version>1.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
> > >  </parent>
> > >  <groupId>org.apache.geronimo</groupId>
> > >  <artifactId>geronimo-axis</artifactId>
> > >  <version>${geronimoVersion}</version>
> > >  <packaging>jar</packaging>
> > >  <name>Geronimo :: Axis</name>
> > >  <build>
> > >    <directory>notarget</directory>
> > >    <outputDirectory>notarget</outputDirectory>
> > >

> <testOutputDirectory>notarget</testOutputDirectory>
> > >    <sourceDirectory>nosrc</sourceDirectory>
> > >
> > <testSourceDirectory>nosrc</testSourceDirectory>
> > >    <resources>
> > >      <resource>
> > >        <directory>nosrc</directory>
> > >      </resource>
> > >    </resources>
> > >    <testResources>
> > >      <testResource>
> > >        <directory>nosrc</directory>
> > >      </testResource>
> > >    </testResources>
> > >      <plugins>
> > >      <plugin>

> > <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>

file="${user.home}/.maven/repository/geronimo/jars/${artifactId}-${version}.jar"/>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Yet another way to build !

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/6, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
> Hi All,
>    I am afraid that I have yet another way to do an M2
> build! It uses a dummy pom, which copies a jar from
> .maven to .m2 repo.
>          Comments welcome.

Please try the revision 383614 where you might (probably) find the solution ;)

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski