Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by San Martino <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/13 19:42:40 UTC

Subversion for debian stable and few questions

Hello,

we need to install subversion in a production environment on a Linux
Debian Stable system.
The version of subversion should be as stable as possible and possibly
one of the 1.6.x series.

Unfortunately, the version from the stable branch provides subversion
1.5.x, while 1.6.x is available from debian "backports".
We would like to know if the 1.6.x from debian testing can be
considered suitable for production.

We also have other questions:
- why CollabNet does not (apparently) certify any binary version for debian
- it seems now CollabNet binaries derive from the same sources from
Apache without any modifications. Is this right?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Subversion for debian stable and few questions

Posted by Michael Diers <md...@elego.de>.
On 2011-01-13 19:42, San Martino wrote:
[...]
> - why CollabNet does not (apparently) certify any binary version for debian
> - it seems now CollabNet binaries derive from the same sources from
> Apache without any modifications. Is this right?

You may wish to ask these questions on CollabNet's community site,
http://www.collab.net/community/.

As an alternative, WANdisco provide packages of the latest Subversion
releases for Debian, http://wandisco.com/subversion/os/downloads.

Currently, AFAIK, both distributions of the Subversion core components
use the same, unmodified source as released by the Apache Subversion
project.

--
Michael Diers, elego Software Solutions GmbH, http://www.elego.de

RE: Subversion for debian stable and few questions

Posted by krueger, "Andreas (Andreas Krüger, DV-RATIO)" <an...@hp.com>.
Hello,

we are using libapache2-svn and subversion both from Lenny backports,
with apache2-mpm-worker from plain Lenny,
all on Debian Lenny AMD64,
(for some reason kernel also from Lenny backports).

That combination serves us well
in a busy SVN production environment.

Regards, Andreas
--
Dr. Andreas Krüger, Senior Developer

Tel. (+49) (211) 280 69-1132
andreas.krueger@hp.com

DV-RATIO NORDWEST GmbH, Habsburgerstraße 12, 40547 Düsseldorf, Germany

für

Hewlett-Packard GmbH H Herrenberger Str. 140   71034 Böblingen   www.hp.com/de
Geschäftsführer: Volker Smid (Vorsitzender), Michael Eberhardt, Thorsten Herrmann,
Martin Kinne, Heiko Meyer, Ernst Reichart, Rainer Sterk
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Jörg Menno Harms
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen S Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 244081   WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 30409072

Posted by Michael Diers <md...@elego.de>.
On 2011-01-13 19:42, San Martino wrote:
[...]
> we need to install subversion in a production environment on a Linux
> Debian Stable system.
> The version of subversion should be as stable as possible and possibly
> one of the 1.6.x series.
>
> Unfortunately, the version from the stable branch provides subversion
> 1.5.x, while 1.6.x is available from debian "backports".
> We would like to know if the 1.6.x from debian testing can be
> considered suitable for production.
[...]

Hi,

you should use the "lenny-backports" package, it is functionally mostly
equivalent to the one in "testing" (currently "squeeze").

1.6.12dfsg-4~bpo50+1
http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/subversion

The real difference is in the runtime package dependencies. See the most
recent changelog entries below for details.

Please be sure you read the instructions on using backports:

http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

subversion (1.6.12dfsg-4~bpo50+1) lenny-backports; urgency=high

  * Rebuild for lenny-backports.
    - Disable ra_serf, need a newer version than the one in lenny.
    - Build-depend on libdb4.6-dev, suggest db4.6-util.
    - Build-depend on openjdk-6-jdk instead of gcj-jdk.
    - Depend on openjdk-6-jre-headless instead of gij.

 -- Michael Diers <md...@elego.de>  Mon, 10 Jan 2011 01:52:25 +0100

subversion (1.6.12dfsg-4) unstable; urgency=high

  * patches/loosen-sqlite-version-check: New patch: Relax the SQLite
    version check, to match the Debian sqlite3 packaging.
    (Closes: #608925)
  * patches/cve-2010-4539: New patch for CVE-2010-4539, fixing a
    remotely triggered crash in mod_dav_svn involving use of the
    SVNParentPath feature.  (Closes: #608989)

 -- Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>  Wed, 05 Jan 2011 10:43:01 -0600

--
Michael Diers, elego Software Solutions GmbH, http://www.elego.de