Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Amthauer, Heiner" <He...@t-systems.com> on 2003/12/16 16:12:18 UTC

Forbidden chars in attributes?

Hi Folks!

I've developed an application using xerces 2.0.2. Being in real life, I
recognize that my customer uses any kind of wild characters, which are than
stored e.g. in an attribute and cause errors.

Now the question is, where can I find a complete list of forbidden
characters in attributes? Or is it easier to check for allowed characters?

Thanx for your help
regards
Heiner

Dipl. Ing. Heiner Amthauer

T-Systems GEI GmbH

Magirusstr. 39/1, 89077 Ulm
Telefon: +49 (731) 9344-4422
Telefax: +49 (731) 9344-4409
Mobil:   +49 (178) 4269335
E-Mail: heiner.amthauer@t-systems.com
Internet: http://www.t-systems.com

Re: Forbidden chars in attributes?

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.

See the XML Recommendation for a list of which Unicode characters are and
aren't legal in XML, and see the documentation for the encoding you're
using for information about how what's in the file translates to Unicode
and back.

Unicode can represent almost any character, in almost any language. But not
all of them are legal in XML, and most encodings can only directly
represent a subset; the rest must be expressed using numeric character
escapes.