Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> on 2015/09/29 20:44:05 UTC

Macs for building / testing AOO?

Hi

Do we have any Macs we can use for building and testing AOO?

I've made some progress on a commonly reported serious regression on
MacOS (#125431), where encrypted ODF files cannot be opened with
recent AOO versions (password allegedly incorrect), but need a Mac to
build and test AOO on.

Can anyone help?

Thank you
Damjan

Re: Macs for building / testing AOO?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 12:50 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Do we have any Macs we can use for building and testing AOO?
> >>
> >> I've made some progress on a commonly reported serious regression on
> >> MacOS (#125431), where encrypted ODF files cannot be opened with
> >> recent AOO versions (password allegedly incorrect), but need a Mac to
> >> build and test AOO on.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help?
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >> Damjan
> >>

> > As far as I know, we do not have a general Mac to use. I didn't see any
> > patches attached to issue you reference. Should that approach be taken?
>
> I've attached it now.

ok, good.

> Can we get one?
>
> > Since Seamonkey was pulled out in early 2014, and replaced for the 4.1.0
> > release with nss, I wonder if some of these problems are due to changes
> for
> > users that were not documented at all in the 4.1.0 Release Notes. :(
> >
> > See: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Certificate_Detection
> >
> > and, I didn't know we had discussed removing nss, although we did remove
> > Seamonkey.
>
> That could well be the problem: Macs ship without Mozilla products
> pre-installed,

OK. AOO is built with nss included for all platforms as default.

and most users won't be setting MOZILLA_CERTIFICATE_FOLDER,
> so nss could be failing to initialize, causing a failure to open all
> encrypted ODF documents 😱.

I understand. The needed information on how to do this is an oversight on
our part.
And, when I was testing this with Linux, the setup was quite picky. I will
update the 4.1.0 Release Notes pages today to include the wiki links.

> Replacing nss was discussed in this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40openoffice.apache.org/msg14374.html
> and openssl suggested in this post:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40openoffice.apache.org/msg14373.html

Thanks. I guess I missed this.

And, it's unfortunate that this lack of information to users has caused
this problem if that IS the problem.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 12:50 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Do we have any Macs we can use for building and testing AOO?
>>
>> I've made some progress on a commonly reported serious regression on
>> MacOS (#125431), where encrypted ODF files cannot be opened with
>> recent AOO versions (password allegedly incorrect), but need a Mac to
>> build and test AOO on.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thank you
>> Damjan
>>

> As far as I know, we do not have a general Mac to use. I didn't see any
> patches attached to issue you reference. Should that approach be taken?

I've attached it now.

Can we get one?

> Since Seamonkey was pulled out in early 2014, and replaced for the 4.1.0
> release with nss, I wonder if some of these problems are due to changes
for
> users that were not documented at all in the 4.1.0 Release Notes. :(
>
> See: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Certificate_Detection
>
> and, I didn't know we had discussed removing nss, although we did remove
> Seamonkey.

That could well be the problem: Macs ship without Mozilla products
pre-installed, and most users won't be setting MOZILLA_CERTIFICATE_FOLDER,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

> On 29 Sep 2015, at 20:44, Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Do we have any Macs we can use for building and testing AOO?
>
> I've made some progress on a commonly reported serious regression on
> MacOS (#125431), where encrypted ODF files cannot be opened with
> recent AOO versions (password allegedly incorrect), but need a Mac to
> build and test AOO on.
>
> Can anyone help?

I see I’m a little late in the offer, but, FWIW,

I actually have a Mac that could be used—devoted—to this purpose. It’s an old one, so slow: 2007 MacBookPro. However, it can do work. It’s at home, in Toronto, far from where I am now, Budapest.

> Thank you
> Damjan

louis

Re: Macs for building / testing AOO?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 30/09/2015 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 29/09/2015 Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>> Do we have any Macs we can use for building and testing AOO?
> The project does have a Mac available

Here all details after a quick chat with the Infra guys:

- Our Mac machine has been up and running for months and it is
completely unused. OS is setup; dependencies and build environment
aren't. Hostname is hestia.apache.org

- https://ci.apache.org/buildslaves/aoo_mac-mini is already ready for
integration in the ASF buildbot system

- Buildbot configuration will have to be added to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/openofficeorg.conf
and will be picked up from there.

Access for Damjan (account: damjan) to the machine will now be granted
by Infra, so Damjan will have a Mac available for building. Damjan: I
recommend that you build trunk first, since we will not use that machine
for 4.1.2 builds.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Macs for building / testing AOO?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 29/09/2015 Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> Do we have any Macs we can use for building and testing AOO?

The project does have a Mac available, but

1) It's meant to be used as a buildbot, so very much OK for building but
awkward for testing (so for your case an external, not project-owned
machine would be better)

2) It's lost in conversations (search "Mac buildbot" in the archives)
and Infra would hate to start yet another conversation with us if we
don't actually put it to use this time. Andrew (arist) has access to the
current machine and can probably share it with you if you wish. Until we
release 4.1.2 the priority is, well, to release 4.1.2... but immediately
after it we should focus on getting a working shared build system, and a
Mac buildbot must be part of it.

Regards,
   Andrea.