Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by mike james <mi...@infomaxgroup.co.uk.INVALID> on 2022/01/01 10:25:36 UTC

Re: Python Donation

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 10:04 PM Peter Blemel <pb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I use NetBeans 8.2 for C/C++ development out of
> habit, sometimes daily, but have installed the 8.2 C/C++ module into NB12
> with success. It is my go-to C/C++ IDE; however, I don't need all the
> latest language features.  I've used Eclipse and other free IDE's, but
> NetBeans is (was) hands-down the best IDE to support many tool chains and
> project configurations. I build or cross-compile for Linux x86 and x64,
> Linux ARM 32 & 64 bit, Cygwin, QNX and do remote debugging.  I have never
> liked cmake, but while I'm not crazy about all of the Makefiles that
> NetBeans creates it's pretty amazing on the whole. I'll use it for as long
> as I can.
>
> A colleague has been doing the same but a few weeks ago reported that 8.2
was getting too difficult to work with.
(I forget what the final straw was but I could ask.) So I'm now moving them
onto VS Code and they are not happy.
I also work with Harry Fairhead on his C books for the Raspberry Pi and
Pico and he used
to include how to set up and use NetBeans but the current editions use VS
Code - he isn't happy either and would
really like to go back to NetBeans in the next edition.
mikej

Re: Python Donation

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
The good news is, both you and your colleague and Harry Fairhead are all
programmers. So, you can work with each other and Antonio (who has a great
proposal on this list) and others and (re)introduce any feature you want to
Apache NetBeans.

Gj

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 11:26 AM mike james