Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mark London <mr...@psfc.mit.edu> on 2019/01/27 04:43:32 UTC

Another form of obfuscation email.

Does anyone have any rules that can catch this type of obfuscated spam?

https://pastebin.com/qi8dsREW

Thanks. - Mark

Re: Another form of obfuscation email.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 26 Jan 2019, at 23:43, Mark London wrote:

> Does anyone have any rules that can catch this type of obfuscated
> spam?
>
> https://pastebin.com/qi8dsREW
>
> Thanks. - Mark

I've been playing with a suite of rules around a concept that hits this
example for a while, but haven't gotten around to doing a solid analysis
of how well the latest rev is working. Caveat Emptor: This rule suite is
worth at most what you've paid for it!

rawbody		__SCC_HTML_LOCKTITLE	/<title>[^<]*(ID|account|service)\s*(is|has
been|was)\s*(locked|disabled|suspended)[^<]*<\/title>/
describe	__SCC_HTML_LOCKTITLE	An Important Title.

rawbody		__SCC_HTML_LOCKBODY	/<body>.*(ID|account|service)\s*(is|has
been|was)\s*(locked|disabled|suspended)/ms
describe	__SCC_HTML_LOCKBODY	An Important Message

meta		T_SCC_WARN_TITLE_ONLY	__SCC_HTML_LOCKTITLE && !__SCC_HTML_LOCKBODY
describe	T_SCC_WARN_TITLE_ONLY	HTML Title warning not in body
meta		T_SCC_WARN_BODY_ONLY	!__SCC_HTML_LOCKTITLE && __SCC_HTML_LOCKBODY
describe		T_SCC_WARN_BODY_ONLY	Body warning not in HTML Title

--
Bill Cole

Re: Another form of obfuscation email.

Posted by RALPH HAUSER <be...@aol.com>.
PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME TO THESE EMAILS! I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR THIS AND I DONT UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS! PLEASE!

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019, John Hardin wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2019, Mark London wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any rules that can catch this type of obfuscated spam?
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/qi8dsREW
>
> There's some "invisible font" subrules in my sandbox that this hits
> (__STY_INVIS_MANY, __FONT_INVIS_MANY) but scored versions aren't currently
> exposed. I think when I was testing them I was amazed by the poor S/O - why
> would legitimate emails include invisible text?
>
> It may be that there is something they can be combined with to catch this.
>
> I'll take a look at the masscheck results soon and see if anything suggests
> itself.

Invisible styles seem to be really popular in ham for some reason. I've
added a meta with some no-ham hits, we'll see how it does.

Explicit multiple invisible fonts, on the other hand, are very rare in the
masscheck corpus, and are only spam. I've put this into my sandbox for
evaluation:

     meta      HTML_TEXT_INVISIBLE_FONT      __FONT_INVIS_MANY

...but there may not be enough total corpus hits for masscheck to feel
worthy of publishing it, so you might want to make that a local rule with
whatever score you feel is appropriate.

   ...every time I sit down in front of a Windows machine I feel as
   if the computer is just a place for the manufacturers to put their
   advertising.                                 -- fwadling on Y! SCOX
  Today: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's 263rd Birthday

Re: Another form of obfuscation email.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 27 Jan 2019, at 0:46, John Hardin wrote:

> why would legitimate emails include invisible text?

Probably the same reason legitimate emails for an almost exclusively US
audience (from "America's Text Kitchen") contain "Zero Width
Non-Joiners" both in plain text parts as UTF-8 characters and as named
entities in HTML parts, which makes no sense in any Latin-* script.

Email marketing technical experts are often ex-spammers who have brought
filter-evasion tricks with them into legit operations.

Re: Another form of obfuscation email.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019, Mark London wrote:

> Does anyone have any rules that can catch this type of obfuscated spam?
>
> https://pastebin.com/qi8dsREW

There's some "invisible font" subrules in my sandbox that this hits
(__STY_INVIS_MANY, __FONT_INVIS_MANY) but scored versions aren't currently
exposed. I think when I was testing them I was amazed by the poor S/O -
why would legitimate emails include invisible text?

It may be that there is something they can be combined with to catch this.

I'll take a look at the masscheck results soon and see if anything
suggests itself.

If they do well against your Bayes but that's not sufficient to block
them, you could define local booster metas like:

    meta   LCL_SPAM_BOOST_123   BAYES_99 && __STY_INVIS_MANY

    meta   LCL_SPAM_BOOST_124   BAYES_99 && __FONT_INVIS_MANY

  Tomorrow: the 52nd anniversary of the loss of Apollo 1