Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/29 16:02:37 UTC

[VOTE] Promote DbUtils to Commons Proper

DbUtils exhibits all of the qualities of a component that should be in
Commons proper:
- It's small and focused.
- It's API is well defined
- It has a group of existing Jakarta committers providing code, ideas, and
support.
- It has good unit test coverage. It has also been tested in real world
database applications.
- It has automated nightly builds, website, and Maven all working
- It has incubated in the sandbox for long enough to become stable

DbUtils is a mature component that should move to Commons proper so it can
be released to the public.  Here's my +1.

The website has additional information:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/dbutils/index.html

Here's the component proposal for reference:
(0) Rationale

Correct JDBC coding is time consuming and error prone.  Many
JDBC coding tasks can be simplified with a small helper library
that factors out the mundane resource cleanup steps.  DbUtils
is focused on providing such a library without any heavyweight
framework surrounding it.

(1) Scope of the Package

This proposal is to create a package of Java utility classes for
various types of JDBC related activity.  DbUtils will
not be an OO representation of database objects nor will
it be an Object/Relational framework.  It will be
a lightweight JDBC library that helps developers write
correct database code.

(1.5) Interaction With Other Packages

DBUtils relies only on standard Java 1.2 (or later) APIs for
production deployment.  It utilizes the JUnit testing framework for
developing and executing unit tests, but this is of interest only to
developers of the component. Being dependent on Java 1.2 means that
this code is expected to be of JDBC 2.0 level.

No external configuration files are utilized.

(2) Initial Source of the Package

Potential source code for this package will come from the initial
committers' personal libraries.

The proposed package name for the new component is
<code>org.apache.commons.dbutils</code>.

(3)  Required Jakarta-Commons Resources

CVS Repository - New directory dbutils in the jakarta-commons CVS
repository.

Mailing List - Discussions will take place on the general
    commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org mailing list.  To help
    list subscribers identify messages of interest, it is suggested that
    the message subject of messages about this component be prefixed with
    [dbutils].

Bugzilla - New component "DBUtils" under the "Commons" product
    category, with appropriate version identifiers as needed.

(4) Initial Committers

The initial committers on the DBUtils component shall be:
Henri Yandell
Steven Caswell
Juozas Baliuka
David Graham

Re: [VOTE] Promote DbUtils to Commons Proper

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> David Graham wrote:
>
> >DbUtils exhibits all of the qualities of a component that should be in
> >Commons proper:
> >- It's small and focused.
> >- It's API is well defined
> >- It has a group of existing Jakarta committers providing code, ideas,
> and
> >support.
> >- It has good unit test coverage. It has also been tested in real world
> >database applications.
> >- It has automated nightly builds, website, and Maven all working
> >- It has incubated in the sandbox for long enough to become stable
> >
> >DbUtils is a mature component that should move to Commons proper so it
> can
> >be released to the public.  Here's my +1.
> >

> Looks like this is likely to pass.  Are there any committers on dbutils
> that have karma for the jakarta-commons-sandbox repository but don't
> have karma on jakarta-commons itself?  If so, I can clean that up when
> the code gets promoted as well.

I did a quick check of the CVS avail file and it looks like all DbUtils
folks have karma in commons and sandbox.

David

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
+1

Posted by Steven Caswell <st...@mungoknotwise.com>.
+1

Quoting David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>:

> DbUtils exhibits all of the qualities of a component that should be in
> Commons proper:
> - It's small and focused.
> - It's API is well defined
> - It has a group of existing Jakarta committers providing code, ideas, and
> support.
> - It has good unit test coverage. It has also been tested in real world
> database applications.
> - It has automated nightly builds, website, and Maven all working
> - It has incubated in the sandbox for long enough to become stable
>
> DbUtils is a mature component that should move to Commons proper so it can
> be released to the public.  Here's my +1.
>
> The website has additional information:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/dbutils/index.html
>
> Here's the component proposal for reference:
> (0) Rationale
>
> Correct JDBC coding is time consuming and error prone.  Many
> JDBC coding tasks can be simplified with a small helper library
> that factors out the mundane resource cleanup steps.  DbUtils
> is focused on providing such a library without any heavyweight
> framework surrounding it.
>
> (1) Scope of the Package
>
> This proposal is to create a package of Java utility classes for
> various types of JDBC related activity.  DbUtils will
> not be an OO representation of database objects nor will
> it be an Object/Relational framework.  It will be
> a lightweight JDBC library that helps developers write
> correct database code.
>
> (1.5) Interaction With Other Packages
>
> DBUtils relies only on standard Java 1.2 (or later) APIs for
> production deployment.  It utilizes the JUnit testing framework for
> developing and executing unit tests, but this is of interest only to
> developers of the component. Being dependent on Java 1.2 means that
> this code is expected to be of JDBC 2.0 level.
>
> No external configuration files are utilized.
>
> (2) Initial Source of the Package
>
> Potential source code for this package will come from the initial
> committers' personal libraries.
>
> The proposed package name for the new component is
> <code>org.apache.commons.dbutils</code>.
>
> (3)  Required Jakarta-Commons Resources
>
> CVS Repository - New directory dbutils in the jakarta-commons CVS
> repository.
>
> Mailing List - Discussions will take place on the general
>     commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org mailing list.  To help
>     list subscribers identify messages of interest, it is suggested that
>     the message subject of messages about this component be prefixed with
>     [dbutils].
>
> Bugzilla - New component "DBUtils" under the "Commons" product
>     category, with appropriate version identifiers as needed.
>

> (4) Initial Committers
>
> The initial committers on the DBUtils component shall be:
> Henri Yandell
> Steven Caswell
> Juozas Baliuka
> David Graham

Steven Caswell
(Hobbit name Mungo Knotwise of Michel Delving)
steve@mungoknotwise.com

Re: [VOTE] Promote DbUtils to Commons Proper

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.
+1

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
+0 -- and i'll do the Bugzilla category (and tweak the nightly builds)
once the code migrates.

Craig