Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2011/09/09 05:39:11 UTC

Backporting HDFS-1620, HDFS-2197, HDFS-2314 to branch-0.23

I plan to push the following patches to branch-0.23 tomorrow morning
unless there's any objection:
    HDFS-1620. Rename HdfsConstants -> HdfsServerConstants,
FSConstants -> HdfsConstants. (Harsh J Chouraria via atm)
    HDFS-2197. Refactor RPC call implementations out of NameNode
class. Contributed by Todd Lipcon.
    HDFS-2314. MRV1 test compilation broken after HDFS-2197.
Contributed by Todd Lipcon

The motivation is that the rename in HDFS-1620 touched most of the
files in HDFS and will cause future backports to have a lot of
conflicts unless we backport this one. HDFS-2197 moved all of the RPC
methods out of NameNode.java to a new class, and hence would cause
conflicts on any future changes that affect the NN RPC. 2314 is a
simple bugfix on 2197.

The backports were straightforward so I'll assume it doesn't need a
separate review. If you'd like to take a look, I pushed a tree here:
https://github.com/toddlipcon/hadoop-common/tree/branch-0.23-backport-2197

Thanks
-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Backporting HDFS-1620, HDFS-2197, HDFS-2314 to branch-0.23

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi all,

I merged the four patches mentioned in this thread to 0.23.

Thanks
-Todd

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.
On Sep 8, 2011, at 8:39 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> The motivation is that the rename in HDFS-1620 touched most of the
> files in HDFS and will cause future backports to have a lot of
> conflicts unless we backport this one.

	That sounds like a postive to me.  If it is hard to backport, then that makes the desire to go forward greater.