Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com> on 2018/08/25 00:02:19 UTC

Re: From name containing a spoofed email address

On 1/18/2018 6:52 AM, Pedro David Marco wrote:
> David,
>
> This rule can do the full job... i have tested it with good results..
>  (Can be tested here: https://regex101.com/r/Vpmhjz/3 )
>
> It checks if the level domain next to the TLD in the From:name matches
> the domain next to the TLD in From:email
>
> header       FROM_DOMAINS_MISMATCHFrom
> !~/(?:[^<].+?)\@(?:.+?\.)*?(.+?\.)(?:.+?).*?<.+?(\@\1|\@.*?\.\1)/
> describe    FROM_DOMAINS_MISMATCHDomain name mismatch in From header
Did this ever get considered for a sandbox.

Alan Hodgson also had a good posted on one but not tested.
Regards,
KAM

Re: From name containing a spoofed email address

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Makes sense to me.  Just trying to check off boxes on open items for 3.4.2
release.

--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
On 08/24/2018 07:02 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 1/18/2018 6:52 AM, Pedro David Marco wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> This rule can do the full job... i have tested it with good results..
>>  (Can be tested here: https://regex101.com/r/Vpmhjz/3 )
>>
>> It checks if the level domain next to the TLD in the From:name matches
>> the domain next to the TLD in From:email
>>
>> header       FROM_DOMAINS_MISMATCHFrom
>> describe    FROM_DOMAINS_MISMATCHDomain name mismatch in From header
> Did this ever get considered for a sandbox.
>
> Alan Hodgson also had a good posted on one but not tested.
> Regards,
> KAM

I am not sure this is going to be worth as sandbox rule.  There are
going to be a high number of system-generated and mass-marketing emails
that aren't going to match the From: header.

 From my experience, this is a local rule that detects high-value