Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com> on 2006/11/04 13:42:30 UTC

Checckstyle and other static code analysis tools do not run or generate reports if configured in profile

Hi,

I came across a strange problem with Checkstyle, PMD, and Findbugs
defined in a profile:  They do not create the desired reports as long as
they are defined in a profile in a parent pom.

My idea was to move definition of static code analysis tools and other
reports in a reporting profile section in my parent pom and then call it
for the individual component site generation goals.  This would have
allowed me to define different reporting configuration and call them by
need.

To my surprise most reports where generated but the static code analysis
tool reports did not show up until I defined those in the individual
project poms.  Other reporting tools like surefire reports or Cobertura
are just working fine.

I am now in a situation where I define most reporting configuration in a
parent pom and then Checkstyle, PMD, and Findbugs reports in a non
profile reporting section.  This works fine for me but I am a little bit
surprised of this different behavior compared to other reporting tools.
And the copy and past job of the reporting section to project poms where
needed seems not to be best solution anyway.

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem?  Is there something special
about those reporting tools that I am not aware of and can be fixed in a
special way of configuration?

Andreas