Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com> on 2013/12/26 22:10:20 UTC

custom_parameters in deployVm call

Bharat,

I’ve noticed that you’ve added a new parameter to deployVm API -“customparameters”. The description of the parameter is very vague and generic “used to specify the custom parameters”.
Is it just the metadata in form of value/key pairs? If so, please change the name to “details” - the generic name used when specify key/value metadata in other API commands.

Also you need to save this information in the “user_vm_details” table, and return it in the UserVmResponse, “details” map parameter. I don’t see “custom parameters” key map being returned anywhere in the UserVmResponse. Its very confusing, because whatever is passed to the Create/Update call, should be returned in the response as well.

It all has to be fixed in 4.3 branch.

Thank you,
Alena.

Re: custom_parameters in deployVm call

Posted by Bharat Kumar <bh...@citrix.com>.
Hi Alena,

please find by comments inline.

On 27-Dec-2013, at 2:40 am, Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>> wrote:

Bharat,

I’ve noticed that you’ve added a new parameter to deployVm API -“customparameters”. The description of the parameter is very vague and generic “used to specify the custom parameters”.
Is it just the metadata in form of value/key pairs? If so, please change the name to “details” - the generic name used when specify key/value metadata in other API commands.

This parameter is used to pass the custom values for cpu, memory and cpucores when using custom compute offering. This not for the metadata.

Also you need to save this information in the “user_vm_details” table, and return it in the UserVmResponse, “details” map parameter. I don’t see “custom parameters” key map being returned anywhere in the UserVmResponse. Its very confusing, because whatever is passed to the Create/Update call, should be returned in the response as well.

There is  a bug logged for this in jira.
bug link https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5472

uploaded a patch in review board.
link to the review request
https://reviews.apache.org/r/16465/