Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2011/05/30 15:52:37 UTC

Better Eclipse development and debugging support

I've been looking into better Eclipse support for developing and debugging Rave,
without having to depend on JRebel (great but costs $) or Eclipse WTP (flaky at
best).

And I think I found a very simple but effective solution using the free/OSS
Eclipse FileSync plugin [1].
This easy to use plugin can be configured to automatically synchronize changes
made within the IDE to a running (cargo started) tomcat instance, making these
changes transparent and picked up automatically at runtime.
Note: this only works automatically if "Build Automatically" is enabled in
Eclipse, otherwise you can use a force synchronize action from the project
context menu.

In addition, there is a related maven plugin [2],[3] which can automatically
generate an appropriate default configuration for the Eclipse FileSync plugin,
making this an immediately working solution with zero configuration needs.
The maven plugin can be configured to only do this once (or conversely be forced
to override), and only do this when actually using Eclipse, skipping execution
otherwise.

I propose adding the Eclipse FileSync plugin to the recommended (Eclipse)
development setup, and add the maven-filesync-plugin to the pom(s) to make this
work automatically.

For my own Eclipse development I already no longer use WTP, and removed the
m2eclipse WTP integration plugin as well.

If nobody objects I'll add the instructions and recommendation for using the
FileSync plugin to the documentation later today and configure the
maven-filesync-plugin as well. This should not have any side-effects if you're
not using Eclipse (or this FileSync plugin).

Thanks,

Ate

[1] http://andrei.gmxhome.de/filesync/index.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/mavenfilesync/