Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/19 03:49:02 UTC

[general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.

Hi all
Now we have many information publishing channels.

Wiki, JIRA, blog, harmony web site to name a few. And seems we have a
multi-lingual information publishing
tendency these days. For example, we have wiki in chinese, JIRA will also
has its Russian and/or Chinese
version in the near future.

I am thinking about to push this tendency one step further. What about also
to multi-lingual our harmony web site or our blog.
For a project such as fundamental and as important as Harmony, to provide
globalized information will definitely help
to further prosper our project.

Any thoughts?

--
Spark Shen
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,
you're quite right, do checkout the website and make changes. in the root
dir of the site, you'll see a README file that gives step-by-step
instructions. we also have the website page
http://harmony.apache.org/documentation/build_website.html.

if you have questions/issues i'd be happy to help.

cheers, Nadya

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nadya,

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/19, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:

> Nadya Morozova wrote:
> > Good idea.
> > we have a couple of pages in Wiki that translate Quick Helps into
> Russia. I
> > was planning to add links from website to those Wiki pages.
> > What other pages need to be translated? News-roadmap-downloads? should
> we
> > store them on wiki or as part of site?
>
> If they are translations of part of the site, then they should be stored
> as part of the site IMO.
>
> I see no problem with providing .html.en and .html.ru and .html.cn pages
> for the website, and using the mechanics in place to support a
> multilingual site.
>
> My only caveat is that the languages we maintain must be readable by at
> least a couple of PMC members / committers / trusted third-parties,
> since it is our responsibility to oversee the content we are publishing
> via official Apache channels; i.e. if somebody kindly provided a
> translation in Spanish we might have to politely decline unless we could
> be sure it was an accurate translation.

+1

Regards,

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,
I would like to thank Alexei for the provided feedback and promise to
address submitted requests during a reasonable time frame. The NY holidays
might be an obstacle, but I'll try to do something before that.

Meanwhile, I'm expanding the RUSSIAN CONTENT of the site. This time, I
translated M4 announcement and all the other news items. I'd ask
Russian-speaking engineers to verify the translation. The news info is
highly technical, and I'm sure to have messed up some definition. The
Russian version of the starting page is still only available directly via
http://harmony.apache.org/index.ru.html - when we think we're ready, we'll
add the language-switch control.

Your help is very important, nadya

--
Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

--
Egor Pasko

Re: [general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Nadya,

--
With best regards,
Alexei,

Re: [general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Alexey,
thanks for valuable feedback. I got notifications on your changes,
they are fine.
about the "checkout" term, yes, i'll need to look into this. it's a
known vulnerable point and i'll try to analyze all occurrences as
well.
about cross-references pages: i am planning to translate Downloads
page and Command-line options. these are needed for Quick Help pages.
if you could spend some time with these or other pages, that would be
great. i've got my hands full with other stuff, so my progress on this
one is rather slow.
about encoding support - i've been wondering the same thing. however,
i haven't had an opportunity to try out the solution, so i cannot tell
you anything. again, if somebody is willing to lend a hand here, i'd
be very happy.

thanks,
Nadya

--
Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nadya,

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Nadya Morozova wrote:
>  returning to localizing the website:
> i updated the starting page of Russian Wiki, please take a look [1]. I'll
> wait for a week or so for Russian-speaking people to provide feedback/fix my
> unsmooth technical Russian, and then create a copy on the website.
>
> as i understand, we can just add more files to the website in the usual xml
> > xhtml transformation mode. shall i place the html.ru files in the same
> directory as the source files or create a special ru/ folder?

The way I have done it before is, for each page, create a .var file in
the same directory as a type-map handler, then multiple versions of each
page with the language identifier as an additional suffix created from
different xml files; e.g. index.var, index.html, index.ru.html,
index.cn.html

The httpd docs are quite good as they have the option to switch language
based on content negotiation or user preference (see 'Available
languages' on [1]).  I'm guessing there is some mod_rewrite foo going on
there.

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Hi all,

--
Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Good idea.

Posted by Yuri Dolgov <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
fully support

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
I understand the importance of accuracy & validity for harmony.

2007/10/19, Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>:

> Hello all,
>
> > JIRA will also has its Russian and/or Chinese version in the near
> future.
>
> Do we need to have multiple versions of JIRAs? Is it positive to have
> multiple communication channels? Aren't we supposed to use one
> communication channel to avoid dispersing of the community?

I think dispersivity is mainly due to content, but not which language to
use. Multi-lingual
will not lead to dispersing of the community as long as it is under proper
supervision.

I would be
> rather opposite to Harmony blog idea while personal blogs are
> definitely a good option, and Xiao Feng has a nice one.
>
> The thing I agreed on was to allow multilingual communication for
> those cases when English communication was not possible. This applies
> to support issues and translations, and not blogging on technical
> issues and development.

The reason is that VP should understand the
> *changes* which happen in Harmony.

+1 for now. Seems we do not have VPs understand languages except for English
right now. :-) But
I do think this should be the most important issue to be concerned in the
long term, since
customers should be placed in the first place.

Thanks.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

> JIRA will also has its Russian and/or Chinese version in the near future.

Do we need to have multiple versions of JIRAs? Is it positive to have
multiple communication channels? Aren't we supposed to use one
communication channel to avoid dispersing of the community? I would be