Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Todd Gasall <To...@wausaubenefits.com> on 2004/07/23 21:30:56 UTC

Configure RSS to read from cache

Hi,
I am having difficulty getting the RSS portlet to read a RSS feed from the
cache.  We are running a SSL site and need to receive non SSL RSS feeds.
We would like Jetspeed to read the RSS files into it's cache, and then have
the portlet render the RSS file from the cache, so the user isn't prompted
by Internet Explorer to display non-secure information in a secure site.
Could somebody please walk me through the steps to configure this?  What
settings will I need to put in Jetspeed-Resources.properties?  Will I need
to do anything different in the portlets.xreg file?  The RSS file I'm
trying to read is: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyhealth.xml

Thanks!
Nick DeSteffen
Wausau Benefits Web Development Group
nick.desteffen@wausaubenefits.com
(715) 841-6036

This communication is intended only for the recipient(s) named above; may
be confidential and/or legally privileged; and, must be treated as such in
accordance with state and federal laws. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of this communication, or
any of its contents, is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please return it to Todd Gasall and delete the message from your
computer system.

Re: Configure RSS to read from cache

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Le 23 juil. 04, à 21:30, Todd Gasall a écrit :

> Hi,
> I am having difficulty getting the RSS portlet to read a RSS feed from
> the
> cache.  We are running a SSL site and need to receive non SSL RSS
> feeds.
> We would like Jetspeed to read the RSS files into it's cache, and then
> have
> the portlet render the RSS file from the cache, so the user isn't
> prompted
> by Internet Explorer to display non-secure information in a secure
> site.
> Could somebody please walk me through the steps to configure this?
> What
> settings will I need to put in Jetspeed-Resources.properties?  Will I
> need
> to do anything different in the portlets.xreg file?  The RSS file I'm
> trying to read is: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyhealth.xml

Jetspeed is probably serving correctly the RSS from local cache but it
will only
cache the RSS file and not the linked items.

I can see in the RSS provided that there's a link to an external image
that is going
to be rendered by Jetspeed. I would venture that this is this image
that triggers the
IE pop-up.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about it with the
out-of-the-box jetspeed.
You can try never rendering the image attached to the RSS by modifying
the associated
XSL templates (/wEB-INF/xsl/rss.xsl).

If you're willing to code  little, you can either write (or find) a
proxy/cache servlet and update
the XSL stylesheet to use the this servlet to link to the external
image.

If you're really determined, you can hack at the FeedDaemon code and
have it cache locally
any external referenced in the RSS file so that you can serve
everything locally.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java