Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by st...@thecityside.com on 2003/12/18 18:19:04 UTC

DAV and HTTP_USER_AGENT

Hi All,

[I posted this on the user list wiht no luck so i thought i give this list a try.  I'll also post it on a DAV/DeltaV list to see if they can help. Anyway here it goes...]

I'm trying to do a check out from an svn repo over DAV. The problem is that I'm stuck behind a firewall that I have no control over. I had posted here earlier and was told that if i went with DAV over ssl, the firewall won't beable to see the new http commands that DAV uses thus the firewall may not be able to stop the transaction. Currently the svn repo is running on top of ssl so when I do this in a browser (mozilla):

https://www.mydomain.com:/svn/repo/trunk/my_src_dir

I'm able to see the repo, but, when I try to do a checkout from the command line I get this:

svn: RA layer request failed
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repo/trunk/myapp'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repo/trunk/myapp': could not connect to server (htt
ps://www.mydomain.com)

so I have a theory and I'm hoping someone here can tell me if I'm on target or if i'm just all washed up.

Could it be that the firewall is checking the http/dav header HTTP_USER_AGENT prop and seeing that it is not a browser and rejecting the connection? And if it is, is there a way to configure svn or dav to use a different value for the HTTP_USER_AGENT prop.?

-TIA-

-Scott-

Re: DAV and HTTP_USER_AGENT

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Friday, December 19, 2003 8:39 AM +0900 Masaru Tsuchiyama
<ts...@asahi-net.email.ne.jp> wrote:

> Could you add an API Interface to set UserAgent?

Why?  I don't see the point.  -- justin

Re: DAV and HTTP_USER_AGENT

Posted by Masaru Tsuchiyama <ts...@asahi-net.email.ne.jp>.
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 01:19:04PM -0500, stavares@thecityside.com wrote:
> > Could it be that the firewall is checking the http/dav header
> > HTTP_USER_AGENT prop and seeing that it is not a browser and rejecting
> > the connection? And if it is, is there a way to configure svn or dav
> > to use a different value for the HTTP_USER_AGENT prop.?
>
> I suppose it's possible that the firewall is doing that.
> But there's no way to currently change the user agent subversion sends
> without patching it.  If you want to do that look in
> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/session.c and look for the ne_set_useragent
> calls.

Now all subversion clients send the same UserAgent. So we can't know
which subversion client is used, by a webserver log.
Could you add an API Interface to set UserAgent?

Masaru Tsuchiyama

Re: DAV and HTTP_USER_AGENT

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: DAV and HTTP_USER_AGENT

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Thursday, December 18, 2003 1:19 PM -0500 stavares@thecityside.com wrote:

> Could it be that the firewall is checking the http/dav header
> HTTP_USER_AGENT prop and seeing that it is not a browser and rejecting the
> connection? And if it is, is there a way to configure svn or dav to use a
> different value for the HTTP_USER_AGENT prop.?

It is far more likely that the firewall is checking the HTTP method and
rejecting PROPFIND as it is a WebDAV-specific method.  I haven't heard of
firewalls checking on User-Agent.  They could, but you're just far more likely
to run into cases where the firewall doesn't allow any WebDAV methods.  That's
so common, it's one of our FAQs.  ;-)  -- justin

Re: DAV and HTTP_USER_AGENT

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
Sorry to reply to the wrong post, but I've deleted the original.

> stavares@mail.thecityside.com wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >[I posted this on the user list wiht no luck so i thought i give this list
> >a try.  I'll also post it on a DAV/DeltaV list to see if they can help.
> >Anyway here it goes...]
> >
> >I'm trying to do a check out from an svn repo over DAV. The problem is
> >that I'm stuck behind a firewall that I have no control over. I had posted
> >here earlier and was told that if i went with DAV over ssl, the firewall
> >won't beable to see the new http commands that DAV uses thus the firewall
> >may not be able to stop the transaction. Currently the svn repo is running
> >on top of ssl so when I do this in a browser (mozilla):
> >https://www.mydomain.com:/svn/repo/trunk/my_src_dir

This is only true if your firewall allows port 443 through; some do not.
It is possible that you have an "Application Layer Gateway"-style HTTP/S
proxy; in order to take advantage of one of those, you need to configure
the proxy settings in ~/.subversion/servers.   Subversion does not have
the automatic proxy detection features that some popular web-browsers do.

--ben

Re: DAV and HTTP_USER_AGENT

Posted by Yannick Menager <ya...@fastmail.fm>.
Nope the problem is something else... the user agent is also protected
by the SSL session. So the proxy cannot see anything ( not the methods,
not the user agent, not anything ).