Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jesse Wolfe <je...@allheal.com> on 2000/04/12 14:03:10 UTC

Re: mod_perl virtual web hosting

I am working with www.superb.net to get their mod_perl up and working
again. They have great infrastrucure, lots of great tools, and an amazing
price.
They had apache/mod_perl for awhile, and upgrades broke it.  I expect they
will have it in a week or two, if we can use all these dynamic/shared
modules as planned.

I'm moving my mod-perl project there once I get it going. Have you checked
out the list on perl.apache.org's documentation?

Jesse

At 01:26 PM 4/12/00 -0400, Gagan Prakash wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have been looking for mod_perl virtual web hosting companies who have fast
>servers and good infrastructure but the two I have found so far have either
>had problems with their mod_perl setups (they installed the module, did not
>change apache configs or changed them incorrectly) or have been very slow.
>These two are www.123hostme.com or www.olm.net.
>
>I would greatly appreciate if somebody could point me in a better direction.
>
>Thanks
>Gagan
>

>********** Web App Development  Needs? ***************
>          Contact OSATech today! http://www.OSATech.com

----
Jesse Wolfe, ICQ #19734806
AllHeal, a Global Healing Village
"Healing our World, One Life at a Time."
http://www.allheal.com
Want to pay less for long distance? - http://ld.net?claritycom

Re: mod_perl virtual web hosting

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
While I understand that it might be an "advantage" to allow the customer's
their own mix of modules, it can also be a bit of a support headache as
different customers will be loading different DSOs presumably even in
different orders. There may be subtle bugs with module interaction that
providing a standard set of one or two Apache binaries would solve for the ISP.

However, I do agree that you should not compile in mod_perl and other
modules like it by default for the front-end servers.... The reason is
security. Core Apache is complicated enough without adding to the potential
for buffer overflows.  The more lines of code you add, the greater the
likelihood of bugs, some of those bugs have a likelihood of being security
bugs.

By only having a subset of users using a DSO, or making a back-end server
use this stuff, you could limit the possibility that the main web server
itself is subject to the overflow (although this is still a risky scenario,
it is less risky than compiling everything in one monolithic apache) since
the front-end could be designed to have very little in it except for an
Intrusion Detection system (which I am under the impression that someone is
writing?).

Anyway, I guess it all boils down to balance and the risks (either support
or security) you are willing to take as an ISP. Adding mod_perl certainly
is a risk in itself! But one that I think many of us definatley would not
mind paying extra for as a dedicated server solution is extremely expensive
as it is.

Later,
    Gunther

Posted by Tom Brown <tb...@baremetal.com>.

> >I'm reading between the lines here, but it sounds like you are trying to
> >have _one_ parent apache daemon that services _everything_ on the machine
> >(likely _more_ than one website), which would imply that you are going to
> >have an _extremely_ low hit ratio on your mod_perl scripts.
>
> nahh, that's not where we were going with it. I am pretty sure it's just a
> "maximum flexibility" feature they want to have on hand to minimize tech
> support, etc.  Why does DSO waste so much memory? I thought DSO would mean
> all processes share the resident copy of the perl library?

I'm speaking through my hat for a couple of reasons.
a) I've never used DSO
b) I don't know that much about your configuration.

1) if mod_perl isn't loaded by the parent apache process, then every time
it gets loaded by a child process, the memory consumed by mod_perl itself
is _not_ shared. (it's possible the actual code [text segment] might be
shared, but any data structures etc will not be -- dynamic linking is
not my cup of tea).

2) if you had (and it sounds like I was wrong,) one parent daemon handling
the requests for 100 virtual servers, then on average you'd have 100 times
as many child processes as needed for 'just' the mod_perl site. That also
means that your scripts are compiled and cached in 100 times more daemons
than needed, and conversely (same issue, different angle), you are 100
times _less_ likely to find that your script has already been compiled
when you hit a given page.

Hopefully someone on the list can provide the definative answers, lord
knows this is one list that still has a high Guru/beginner ratio ;-) And
the debian fellow debugging the DSO trouble sounded Knowledgable :-)

> >it strikes me that you _want_ a frontend proxy to feed your requests to
> >the smallest number of backend daemons which are most likely to already
> >have compiled your scripts. This saves memory and CPU, while simplifying
> >the configuration, and of course, for a dedicated backend daemon, DSO buys
> >nothing... even if that daemon uses access handlers, it still always needs
> >mod_perl
>
> remember we're talking an entire ISP, not just a website. I think it might
> be a mighty pain to have everyone running or sharing some backend mod_perl
> server. Logs and all that.

Huh? The same techniques used to separate the logs for the frontend
server(s) can be used to split the backend logs, if you even use any log
info other than the error_log from the backend (they would just repeat the
frontend logs).

> >That said, we bought modperl-space.com back when domains suddenly got
> >cheap, but haven't put together a mod_perl package because we really don't
> >know what folks want/are using it for.
>
> seems like most folks with enough ?? to be using mod_perl are either
> working corporate or have their own hosts and don't have to deal with ISP's
> on the mod_perl issue.

True.

tbrown@BareMetal.com   | Drive thy business, or it will drive thee.
http://BareMetal.com/  | - Benjamin Franklin
web hosting since '95  |

Re: mod_perl virtual web hosting

Posted by Jesse Wolfe <je...@allheal.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <tb...@baremetal.com>.
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Jesse Wolfe wrote:

> I am working with www.superb.net to get their mod_perl up and working
> again. They have great infrastrucure, lots of great tools, and an amazing
> price.
> They had apache/mod_perl for awhile, and upgrades broke it.  I expect they
> will have it in a week or two, if we can use all these dynamic/shared
> modules as planned.

strikes me (as an owner of a web hosting service) that DSO is the wrong
answer. What does DSO buy you? NOTHING except a complete waste of
memory...

I'm reading between the lines here, but it sounds like you are trying to
have _one_ parent apache daemon that services _everything_ on the machine
(likely _more_ than one website), which would imply that you are going to
have an _extremely_ low hit ratio on your mod_perl scripts.

it strikes me that you _want_ a frontend proxy to feed your requests to
the smallest number of backend daemons which are most likely to already
have compiled your scripts. This saves memory and CPU, while simplifying
the configuration, and of course, for a dedicated backend daemon, DSO buys
nothing... even if that daemon uses access handlers, it still always needs
mod_perl

That said, we bought modperl-space.com back when domains suddenly got
cheap, but haven't put together a mod_perl package because we really don't
know what folks want/are using it for.

> I'm moving my mod-perl project there once I get it going. Have you checked
> out the list on perl.apache.org's documentation?
>
> Jesse
>

> At 01:26 PM 4/12/00 -0400, Gagan Prakash wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have been looking for mod_perl virtual web hosting companies who have fast
> >servers and good infrastructure but the two I have found so far have either
> >had problems with their mod_perl setups (they installed the module, did not
> >change apache configs or changed them incorrectly) or have been very slow.
> >These two are www.123hostme.com or www.olm.net.

last I heard, olm.net treated their resellers well, but their
tech support to direct clients was supposed to be pretty poor.