Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/04 08:27:18 UTC

JIRA via email, it's about time

Hi all,

I think we could possibly improve our and JIRA's interaction with
email.  I think two areas are particularly needy:
- JIRA should not start new threads (most of us use gmail) just "cuz"
- We should be able to reply to a JIRA thread and have the comments
recorded in the ticket itself

Most other ticket systems can do this.  Why not JIRA?  Anyone know?

-ryan

Re: JIRA via email, it's about time

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - JIRA should not start new threads (most of us use gmail) just "cuz"
>
> By the way: Is Apache's JIRA down (half the time) and slow (the rest
> of the time) only for me?

Are you using chrome browser perchance?
St.Ack

Re: JIRA via email, it's about time

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way: Is Apache's JIRA down (half the time) and slow (the rest
> of the time) only for me?

No, it's not only for you.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com

Re: JIRA via email, it's about time

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
> - JIRA should not start new threads (most of us use gmail) just "cuz"

That has annoyed me for a long time. I found an issue[1] about it and
it links to some other issues that might be of interest. I haven't yet
taken a closer look but it seems[2] as if the subject line will be
changeable via a template in JIRA 4.1 (Q1/Q2 2010) but it seems Apache
is still using some 3.x version and I have no idea if they are going
to update it.

By the way: Is Apache's JIRA down (half the time) and slow (the rest
of the time) only for me?

Lars

[1] http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-12640
[2] <http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3609?focusedCommentId=183427&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_183427>

Re: JIRA via email, it's about time

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Stack,
>
> The emails I'm seeing on hbase-issues look good.  Replies are going to
> jira@apache.org which is what we want.  Any replies should be appended by
> jira as comments to the relevant issues.
>
> I think infra can only remove the reply-to for the hbase-issues list
> (list-wide config), so the created/resolved/etc message to hbase-dev will
> still need to be manually changed.  But looks good to me.  Thanks for seeing
> this through!

Yeah, it seems to work.  Thanks for taking a look Gary.
St.Ack

Re: JIRA via email, it's about time

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hey Stack,

The emails I'm seeing on hbase-issues look good.  Replies are going to
jira@apache.org which is what we want.  Any replies should be appended by
jira as comments to the relevant issues.

I think infra can only remove the reply-to for the hbase-issues list
(list-wide config), so the created/resolved/etc message to hbase-dev will
still need to be manually changed.  But looks good to me.  Thanks for seeing
this through!

--gh

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
JIRA has support to poll an IMAP mailbox for new messages and parse out the
message body as a new comment on the relevant issue.  Sounds like that
apache setup is already doing that for jira@apache.org?

So I wonder if the issue is just replying to messages sent to hbase-dev vs.
the individual messages JIRA sends to watchers, etc.  Can the listserv be
configured to not add the Reply-To when JIRA is the sender?

For proper threading, JIRA would need to include a consistent In-Reply-To
header for all the messages related to an issue, either storing the
Message-ID from the "Created" email or using a predictable format to
construct it.  Probably possible with the JIRA plugin system, but may
require some custom coding.  Maybe it would be easier to just tweak the
message subject lines so they're handled better by gmail's subject based
thread aggregation?

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.