Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by David Latorre <dv...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/11 10:05:27 UTC

OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded

Hey guys,

 This weekend our ftpserver implementation (which we recently switched from
a web-based application to a standalone app launched using  ftpd.sh  from
the distro but using some 'company standard' memory options)  threw the
exception in the title:

OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded

Funny thing is that we don't have any traffic on weekends except for an
automated tool that connects every 5 minutes to get sure everything is
working fine... so I can hear these words out loud:
MEMORY LEAK.

FTPServer is launched like this:
-server -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:+UseParallelOldGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy
-XX:+UseBiasedLocking -XX:+EliminateLocks -XX:+AggressiveOpts

Have any of you experienced this exception or any other memory-related one?
 What heap sizes are you using? In my test, I never needed more than 100mb
 but after a couple of weeks it seems this is no longer true.

*I'm pretty sure our code is not causing the possible leak - I would tend to
point at MINA for this... what do you think, Niklas? It seems they are still
using M4.

Re: OutOfMemoryError - GC overhead limit exceeded

Posted by David Latorre <dv...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/11 Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM, David Latorre <dv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *I'm pretty sure our code is not causing the possible leak - I would tend
> > point at MINA for this... what do you think, Niklas? It seems they are
> still
> > using M4.
>
> Any chance of upgrading MINA, that's a really old version?
>
> Also, would it be possible to get a dump file on OOMs?

First task today was enabling dump heap on out of memory error...  let's
hope that it won't be necessary after Mina update :)

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.