Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Yannick Menager <ya...@db.com> on 2000/06/28 18:11:05 UTC

ASynchronous dependencies, classloader in Java Task for classpath

It would be nice to have dependencies that could be run asynchronously, so that instead of going one by one in the order they're present, they would run all in separate threads. i.e.:

<target name="something" depends="sometask1,sometask2" asyncdepends="atask1,atask2" >

which would first call sometask1, then sometask2. But at the same time would have launched both atask1 and atask2 in seperate threads.

also, the java task doesn't allow to set the classpath unless the jvm is forked, but wouldn't it be easy to add a classloader and load the classpath indicated to run it in the same VM ?

Also it would be nice to have a "ifnot" tag as well as the current "if"

Re: ASynchronous dependencies, classloader in Java Task for classpath

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 YM> they would run all in separate threads.

Conor has proposed a multithreading extension a while back, this issue
hasn't been fully resolved yet AFAIK. Maybe you want to retrieve the
corresponding messages from the archive (see your welcome mail for
details) and join the discussion.

 YM> Also it would be nice to have a "ifnot" tag as well as the
 YM> current "if"

I have a patch for an unless attribute to target lying around but am
reluctant to add it. I'm getting more and more convinced that most
conditional execution cases can be handled without if/unless cases in
targets - conditional include/exclude elements do the same job most of
the time.

Stefan