Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by daniel smith <we...@hotmail.com> on 2001/05/21 16:44:22 UTC

Advice/help about Linux version on DEC Alpha?

Hi. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I am converting an NT DEC Alpha
to Linux with hopes of installing Cocoon, etc. Would anyone have advice as
to which version of Linux might be the most compatible with Cocoon? Thanks
so much.

Daniel Smith

Re: Advice/help about Linux version on DEC Alpha?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
daniel smith wrote:

> Hi. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I am converting an NT DEC Alpha
> to Linux with hopes of installing Cocoon, etc. Would anyone have advice as
> to which version of Linux might be the most compatible with Cocoon? Thanks
> so much.

The one with a reliable JDK.  Cocoon (both Cocoon 1 and Cocoon 2) are built
on top of Java.  That means that all compatibility issues are taken care of
in the JDK.  Sun only supplies the x86 architecture JDK for Linux.  I am not
aware of whether or not you can compile BlackDown's JDK for Alpha.  It is
worth a shot though...

Re: Advice/help about Linux version on DEC Alpha?

Posted by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com>.
Hi
    Try any distribution for which you have a "DEC Alpha". I personally
know that there should be no problem with Suse, Redhat and Mandrake.
But I do have any information about their distributions for the DEC Alpha
platform.

Regards
Joseph Rajkumar

Posted by Matthew Cordes <co...@cs.usm.maine.edu>.
Most should work fine.  You really aren't going to get much good advice as
there are a large number of linux distro's and choosing one is really a
matter of personal preference.  If you are new to linux I'd suggest redhat,
mandrake, suse (easy gui installs), otherwise I'd suggest slackware or
debian.  I personally use Debian, but most people use Redhat or some clone
(e.g. mandrake).

-matt

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 21 May 2001, daniel smith wrote:

> Hi. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I am converting an NT DEC Alpha
> to Linux with hopes of installing Cocoon, etc. Would anyone have advice as
> to which version of Linux might be the most compatible with Cocoon? Thanks
> so much.

The latest :)

Giacomo