Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Developer <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/03 21:14:17 UTC

Quick Start Environment for PhoneGap dev teams

Hi,

Congrats on the 1.4 release, these are no doubt busy days with the
transition and ramp-up involved.

I would love to draw your attention to:
http://meet.assembla.com/spaces/phonegap-quickstart/wiki

Meta:
http://meet.assembla.com/spaces/meet-projects/wiki/Rationales_and_Propositions

The intended outcome is to lower barriers to adoption and to improve
outcomes, aggregating best-practices and links to good resources, and
promoting use of them by having them at hand during development for current
and incoming developers alike.

I would love to hear your thoughts and naturally welcome deeper
participation.

Happy Hacking,
Joachim

Re: Quick Start Environment for PhoneGap dev teams

Posted by Joe Developer <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:21 AM, Joe Developer <jo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:
>
>> So, I think while the intentions here are good the execution is
>> somewhat troubling as it looks *really* spammy. (Especially so w/ the
>> hotlinking to our existing assets and resources.)
>>

> I think that the response here rests on a misconception of the goals, the
> workspace that I linked is a 'template workspace' that is meant to be near
> at hand for developers joining a project - it is not intended to be a
> substitute or a competitor to the existing Cordova docs, but rather offer
> concise points of entry to them, as well as more 'integration specific'
> documentation, which, as you point out, might fall outside the tight focus
> of the Cordova docs.
>
> I am somewhat at a loss at the use of the term 'hotlinking', but I would
> certainly welcome suggestions as to how it might be made to not invoke the
> perception of being 'spammy'.
>

>> If you'd like to help to improve our documentation: there's a repo for
>> that.[1]
>>

> I would love to, once I reach the point where I have something to offer in
> that area, again, these are not meant to be mutually exclusive endeavors.
>

>> I'd like to see more example usages but we are, very deliberately, not
>> going to endorse any javascript frameworks. Thats a whole different
>> problem space than the Apache Cordova problem space.[2]
>>

> My intent was more to reach members of the ML than the project itself. I
> would imagine that a sizable number of contributors to Cordova are
> sponsored by organizations that field offerings in the wider Cordova
> ecosphere. It would surprise me if they wouldn't see it as worthwhile to be
> able to help end-developers be able to get going with their projects
> quickly and with the best possible underpinnings for success.
>
> Just to recap:
> http://meet.assembla.com/spaces/phonegap-quickstart/wiki is to Project
> Process Environments as 'git clone' is to code repositories. In this day
> and age, getting the code is but a small step on the path of successful
> project development, if the interest is to help more developers get started
> with evaluating, adopting and succeeding in successful leveraging of
> Cordova then I feel that I am offering a proposition that helps improve
> outcomes for a broad population of developers.

Slightly less terse:

As mentioned in meta[1], the workspace[2] is actually a 'template
workspace' which is meant to be cloned by individual users or teams - it
goes beyond just a documentation destination and allows for deeper support
of their development efforts.

It is not meant to compete with the ASF Cordova wiki or API docs, but
rather give developers a reference to where to look up information, at hand
and to all project participants.

For the most part, demand outstrips supply when it comes to developers with
domain specific expertise, communicating good reference resources tends to
be a natural and valuable step in supporting development teams.

In usage, the wiki will be cloned to individual workspaces for
customization and to cater to specific needs of the team.

Development teams tend to see benefit from being able to leverage tools
that support the process, git repos, issue tracking, documentation
repositories such as wikis, code review UIs, Build tools, Support ticket
facility, time tracking, etc etc.

There are many such offerings out there, and no matter which they use,
people will still be able to either refer to the wiki presented or clone
the public git repo with examples. If they happen to use Assembla already,
or are looking for such an offering to try out - then they have the
facility to get started working with Cordova within such an environment
with a click[3] ( Picture a "Cordova Quick Start" entry ).

Ultimately the goal is to make it easier to get started, avoid or overcome
obstacles easier and increase the likelihood of sustained adoption and
success rate of development efforts.

1.
http://meet.assembla.com/spaces/meet-projects/wiki/Rationales_and_Propositions

2. http://meet.assembla.com/spaces/phonegap-quickstart/