Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2019/03/20 04:59:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move to jdk11 and use jlink

All,

JDK8 has reached eol wrt public updates from Oracle and JDK11 is the most recent LTS. Should we discuss and plan the next release to move to JDK11, the effort may be as minimal as changing the jdk requirements in maven config files.

Wrt consumption on centos6 (was there was an argument to drop centos6 support?) , centos7 and ubuntu 16.04+ with project jigsaw and jdk11's jlink we can ship stripped down jre along with CloudStack artifacts. This would mean we may no longer depend on distribution provided JRE, much like shipping a single uberjar we can bundle stripped jre in it as well, including for usage, kvm agent and systemvm agents. This can be beneficial in project's control wrt security and CloudStack can still run on platforms that don't have openjdk11 packages. The effort here I guess would be to create build assemblies or use a maven plugin to export such a bundle. Thoughts?

Regards,
Rohit Yadav

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to jdk11 and use jlink

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Marc, we'll need to investigate and test of course, at this stage this is just an idea need discussion. We'll move to JDK11 (lts) sometime in future, however, I'm not proposing we rush that in the next major release.

Paul, by bundling the JRE in the packages and systemvm.iso - yes we'll need to release a CloudStack update (a) but that could be a good thing especially for distros which may not get the security update; (b) we won't need to publish a new systemvmtemplate as the JRE may be part of the systemvm.iso instead (i.e. don't install JRE in systemvmtemplate, but get it via systemvm.iso file; it may also make the template 50-200MB lighter in size).

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

https://www.shapeblue.com