Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Marshall <dm...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/12 03:22:35 UTC

Vanishing Requests

Hi all,

Our website is experiencing some very weird behavior that we don't
know how to resolve.  I have some avenues on which to do the next
steps of investigation, but I'm really hoping that the mod_perl/Mason
illuminati can shed some light on this.

The basic problem: some requests just totally vanish.  No record
appears of them in the apache log, and no response is returned to the
browser.

We were running apache 1.3.31 with mod_perl 1.29 as a DSO.  When the
problem occurred, we'd get a segfault.  This looked a lot like Mason
bug #546, so we changed to apache 1.3.33 statically linked with
mod_perl 1.29.  We don't get segfaults here, but some requests really
do just vanish.

Some added information: We're using "MasonAllowGlobals" for a handful
of variables, and we do have <%shared> sections.  The page being
loaded is one of our largest pages, sometimes growing as large as 800k
bytes.  The OS is a cobbled-together RedHat/CentOS/manually installed
stuff system.  Kernel is 2.4-something.

A lot of the code is legacy stuff on which 'use strict' and warnings
have never been used.

Some of my planned investigation includes using "PerlWarn On" for an
httpd -X on our development server, with great hopes that something
obvious will jump out.

We've taken some immediate remedial measures, such as making the page
a little bit smaller.  However, that seems like a band-aid that's only
covering up some deeper problem.  I'd really like to figure this out;
it's becoming very frustrating.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  If it's something
that a few hours of expert-level analysis could help to resolve, I'd
be glad to hear proposals from principals only.  Reply directly to me,
and include your rate, why you're the person best suited to solve this
problem, and a general outline of what you're planning to do.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Vanishing Requests

Posted by Slava Bizyayev <sb...@outlook.net>.
On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 20:22, David Marshall wrote:
> The basic problem: some requests just totally vanish.  No record
> appears of them in the apache log, and no response is returned to the
> browser.

How did you know that the request reaches your server?

--
Slava

Re: Vanishing Requests

Posted by Dan Wilga <dw...@MtHolyoke.edu>.
At 6:22 PM -0700 5/11/05, David Marshall wrote:
>The basic problem: some requests just totally vanish.  No record
>appears of them in the apache log, and no response is returned to the
>browser.

Another important thing to know: If the httpd process handing a
request terminates abnormally, there won't be an entry in the access
log. That's because Apache logs requests (in the access log) AFTER
they have already been sent to the client.

The only way to track every request that comes in is to use something
like mod_forensic.

--
Dan Wilga                                         dwilga@mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu

RE: [Mason] Vanishing Requests

Posted by Pa...@alcatel.fr.
Hi David,

Could you have a look at my post "[QUESTION] Browser hangs if multiple
requests on the same Perlresource (Apache2, modperl2, Win32)" ?

Because I think we're hitting the *very same problem*... You may want to
check if your site enjoys the same problem as mine using the simplistic Perl
script I posted and ApacheBench to load your server (use conccurent requests
on the simplistic script).

>From there maybe we can better understand what's going on.

Thanks,

                              Pascal.

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 18:22 -0700, David Marshall wrote:
> The basic problem: some requests just totally vanish.  No record
> appears of them in the apache log, and no response is returned to the
> browser.

Find out what they are doing by using mod_log_forensic:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_forensic.html

- Perrin

Re: [Mason] Vanishing Requests

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.