Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/03/20 12:48:03 UTC

Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - ofbizwebsite

> G) specialpurpose/ofbizwebsite: move to "Attic"

Jacques and Olivier proposed to move it to Extras instead just in case someone will pick up the work and complete it in the future.
I would like to mention that, if the original goal was "to eat our own dog food" and run the OFBiz site on it, then this could be in contrast with the ASF infrastructure offered to the projects.

Jacopo

Re: Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - ofbizwebsite

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Infra wouldn't be happy if we host the website in that demo instance; websites potentially have a lot of visits and that server is not intended for the load; this is similar to Confluence based pages: we will no more be allowed to use direct links to them from the website.

Jacopo

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.
Le 21/03/2012 15:03, Hans Bakker a écrit :
> Jacques,
>
> sure  at the time is was up-to-date and this was a proposal how we can
> use ofbiz for the website, however because of the strict apache rules
> it was not used...but can still be a template for any local ofbiz
> website.....
>
> It remains weak: being an 'ofbiz' provider but not using it yourself.....

imo it's a good cms ofbiz capability demonstration, so +1 for extras :-)

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hans,

The OFBiz project can hardly be regarded as an OFBiz Provider. Look at the
list of Providers on the site. Then look at the source of their websites
and have a feel for how many (besides your company) use OFBiz as a WCM.

There are several solutions in the field providing for website
functionality. Some of which including a richer set of functionality and
better user experience.

Regards,

Pierre

Op 21 maart 2012 15:03 schreef Hans Bakker
<ma...@antwebsystems.com>het volgende:

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hans,

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Scott Gray" <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>

>>> Jacques and Olivier proposed to move it to Extras instead just in case someone will pick up the work and complete it in the
>>> future.
>>> I would like to mention that, if the original goal was "to eat our own dog food" and run the OFBiz site on it, then this could
>>> be in contrast with the ASF infrastructure offered to the projects.
>>>
>>> Jacopo
>> What is missing on this component ?
>> I think we should keep it where it is, but like for JCR, write a small roadmap on what we need. The website is somehow dependent
>> from JCR, if we implement it completely.
>>
>> --
>> Erwan de FERRIERES
>> www.nereide.biz
>
> What possible benefit does this component offer to our users?  It's nothing more than a ridiculously large example component.  If
> we were going to keep this in OFBiz we'd need a new component folder, maybe "extremelyspecialpurpose" or perhaps
> "notreallyanypurpose".
>
> +1 for moving to extras if there are any volunteers to maintain it otherwise, +1 for the attic. (This is essentially my vote for
> all the special purpose apps except ecommerce)

This sounds like a wise/experienced suggestion

Jacques

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Op 20 maart 2012 12:48 schreef Jacopo Cappellato <
jacopo.cappellato@hotwaxmedia.com> het volgende: