Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steve Conover <sc...@groundswell.net> on 2000/09/15 18:03:31 UTC

integrating XSP apps in an environment with other languages (ASP, JSP)

I'm in a situation where we have a ton of stuff in ASP (sessions, logon,
etc) and I had to figure out a way to get my XSP app to seamlessly work with
the asp stuff.  I think I have a good method...

I made an extra field in our user table to hold a long string, then I
modified out ASP login script grab the ASP sessionid from the HTTP_COOKIE
header and put it in the sessionid field in the logging-in user's row in the
database.  I modified the logout script to go thru and erase the sessionID
from HTTP_COOKIE from anywhere it finds it in the database (hopefully only
in that user's row).

So at the top of each of my XSP files, I grab the asp sessionid from
HTTP_COOKIE, lookup the user with that sessionid in the database, and set a
variable in the java session to that userid.  I think it's a pretty secure
method, the only restriction being that you can't log in as the same user on
two different machines and use the app at the same time (no big deal).

Just thought I'd share.

Regards,
Steve