Posted to user-zh@flink.apache.org by Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com> on 2023/03/23 09:19:40 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Flink 1.17.0 released

The Apache Flink community is very happy to announce the release of Apache Flink 1.17.0, which is the first release for the Apache Flink 1.17 series.

Apache Flink® is an open-source unified stream and batch data processing framework for distributed, high-performing, always-available, and accurate data applications.

The release is available for download at:
https://flink.apache.org/downloads.html

Please check out the release blog post for an overview of the improvements for this release:
https://flink.apache.org/2023/03/23/announcing-the-release-of-apache-flink-1.17/

The full release notes are available in Jira:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12351585

We would like to thank all contributors of the Apache Flink community who made this release possible!

Best regards,
Qingsheng, Martijn, Matthias and Leonard

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flink 1.17.0 released

Posted by Tamir Sagi <Ta...@niceactimize.com>.
Congratulations. Well done!
________________________________
Thanks for making this release getting over the finish line.

One additional thing:
Feel free to reach out to the release managers (or respond to this thread) with feedback on the release process. Our goal is to constantly improve the release process. Feedback on what could be improved or things that didn't go so well during the 1.17.0 release cycle are much appreciated.

Best,
Matthias

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 11:02 AM Jing Ge via user <us...@flink.apache.org>> wrote:
Excellent work! Congratulations! Appreciate the hard work and contributions of everyone in the Apache Flink community who helped make this release possible. Looking forward to those new features. Cheers!

Best regards,
Jing

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 10:24 AM Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com>> wrote:
[...]

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE Actimize. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.
Monitoring: NICE Actimize may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.
Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flink 1.17.0 released

Posted by Matthias Pohl via user <us...@flink.apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Jing Ge via user <us...@flink.apache.org>.

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jing Ge via user <us...@flink.apache.org>.

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthias Pohl via user <us...@flink.apache.org>.
Here are a few things I noticed from the 1.17 release retrospectively which
I want to share (other release managers might have a different view or
might disagree):

- Google Meet might not be the best choice for the release sync. We need to
be able to invite attendees even if the creator of the meeting isn't
available (maybe try Zoom or jitsi instead?)

- Release sync every 2 weeks and a switch to weekly after feature freeze
felt reasonable

- Slack worked well as a collaboration tool to document the monitoring
tasks (#builds [1], #flink-dev-benchmarks [2]) in a team with multiple
release managers

- The Slack Azure Pipeline bot seems to be buggy. It swallows some build
failures. It's not a severe issue, though. We created #builds-debug [3] to
monitor whether it's happening consistently. The issue is covered in
FLINK-30733 [4].

- Having dedicated people for monitoring the build failures helps getting a
more consistent picture of test instabilities

- We experienced occasional issues in the manual steps of the release
creation in the past (e.g. japicmp config was not properly pushed).
Creating Jira issues for the release helped to make the release creation
more transparent and made the steps more reviewable [5][6][7][8].
Additionally, it helped to distribute subtasks to different people with
Jira being the tool for documentation and synchronization. That's
especially helpful when there is more than one person in charge of creating
the release.

- We had backports/merges without PRs happening by committers occasionally
during the 1.17 release which broke master/release branches (probably,
changes were done locally before merging which were not part of the PR to
have a faster backport experience). It might make sense to remind everyone
that this should be avoided. Not sure whether we want/can restrict that.

- We observed a good response on fixing test instabilities by the end of
the release cycle but had some long running issues earlier in the cycle
which caused extra efforts on the release managers due to reoccurring test
failures.

- Release testing picked up “slowly”: Initially, we planned 2 weeks for
release testing. But there was not really any progress (tickets being
created and worked on) in the first week. In the end, we had to extend the
phase by another week resulting in 3 instead of 2 weeks of release testing.
I guess we could encourage the community to create release testing tasks
earlier and label them properly to be able to monitor the effort. That
would even enable us to do release testing for a certain feature after the
feature is done and not necessarily only at the end of the release cycle.

- Manual test data generation is tedious (FLINK-31593 [9]). But this should
be fixed in 1.18 with FLINK-27518 [10] being almost done.

- We started creating documentation for release management [11]. The goal
is to collect what tasks are there to help support a Flink release to
encourage newcomers to pick up the task.

I'm going to add these to the Flink 1.17 release documentation [12] as
feedback as well.

Best,
Matthias

[1] https://apache-flink.slack.com/archives/C03MR1HQHK2