Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org> on 2004/04/20 10:40:41 UTC

Does a RAMDirectory ever need to merge segments... (performance issue)

I've been benchmarking our indexer to find out if I can squeeze any more
performance out of it.

I noticed one problem with RAMDirectory... I'm storing documents in
memory and then writing them to disk every once in a while. ...

IndexWriter.maybeMergeSegments is taking up 5% of total runtime.
DocumentWriter.addDocument is taking up another 17% of total runtime.

Notice that this doesn't == 100% becuase there are other tasks taking up
CPU before and after Lucene is called.

Anyway... I don't see why RAMDirectory is trying to merge segments.  Is
there anyway to prevent this?  I could just store them in a big
ArrayList until I'm ready to write them to a disk index but I'm not sure
how efficient this will be.

Anyone run into this before?

--

Please reply using PGP.