Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de> on 2010/02/15 11:00:51 UTC

Updating index: Replacing data directory recommended?

Hi solr community!

Is it recommended to replace the data directory of a heavy used solr
instance?
(I am aware of the http queries, but that will be too slow)

I need a fast way to push development data to production servers.
I tried the following with success even under load of the index:
mv data dataOld; mv dataNew data; and reloaded the index.
Did I have luck or will this always work under linux?
And do I need to cut the production load from the solr instance?

Or is there a better way for a fast index update or index replacement?

Kind regards,
Peter.

Re: Updating index: Replacing data directory recommended?

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.
Hi,

any hints or suggestions?
Does anyone do the updating this way?

Regards,
Peter.

Re: Re: Updating index: Replacing data directory recommended?

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.
Hi

Ups, sorry. I didn't recognized the answer because it was in the bulk
folder.

I though with this procedure it will be a lot faster and less overhead.
Just two lines of shell script.

What do you think?

Regards,
Peter.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi solr community!
>
> Is it recommended to replace the data directory of a heavy used solr
> instance?
> (I am aware of the http queries, but that will be too slow)
>
> I need a fast way to push development data to production servers.
> I tried the following with success even under load of the index:
> mv data dataOld; mv dataNew data; and reloaded the index.
> Did I have luck or will this always work under linux?
> And do I need to cut the production load from the solr instance?

This should work on Linux. The rsync based replication scripts used to do
something similar.

> Or is there a better way for a fast index update or index replacement?

Why don't you use the rsync or the Java based replication instead of
building something custom?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.