Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Heritier Arnaud <ah...@axway.com> on 2004/06/29 11:32:39 UTC

Javadoc Plugin Change - What is better ?

Hello guys,

    Several weeks ago, I added the functionnality to use the
"maven.compile.src.set" in the javadoc plugin.
    I also added like in others plugins, a patternset to exclude or
include files depending on the pom.build.sourceModifications....

    To use the patternset I needed to give in entry to the javadoc task
a fileset and not a sourcepath.

    The use of a fileset create some problems :
    - MPJAVADOC 28 : You can't use a link to a package name
    - MPJAVADOC 29 : The jdk 1.3 doesn't generate the package list

    Yesterday, I committed some changes to the javadoc plugin.
    From now the fileset is only used if a sourceModifications is
defined. Otherwise the plugin use a sourcepath.

    The problem is that the behaviour of the javadoc plugin is different
if the user define sourceModifications or not.
    If the user define in its project some sourceModifications, he can
encounter the bugs MPJAVADOC 28 and/or 29.

    I think we can have 2 solutions.
    Either we simplify the plugin and we remove the use of the
patternset or we allow the user decide with a property if he want to use
it ?

    What do you think about this ? Is there a better solution ?

Arnaud

RE: Javadoc Plugin Change - What is better ?

Posted by Arnaud Heritier <ah...@apache.org>.
> > > Do we really care about sourceModifications? Should we generate it for
> > > everything, or will this double up?
> >
> > I never used sourceModifications in my projects. I'm not sure that it is very usefull to use it
> in the javadoc plugin.
>
> Where sourcemods is handy is for generated code, for example that MUST
> be generated into the source directory.

If this is the case where it is often used, then we could remove it use in the plugin since it can generate the javadoc for
generated code with the maven.compile.src.set .

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud Heritier <ah...@apache.org>.

> Do we really care about sourceModifications? Should we generate it for
> everything, or will this double up?

I never used sourceModifications in my projects. I'm not sure that it is very usefull to use it in the javadoc plugin.

> That check can also check for the existence of JDK 1.4+ where the bugs in
> javadoc are fixed IIRC.

Yes it can be a test to add.
What's disturbing me is that the behaviour won't be homogeneous. It will depend on the jdk wersion, the use of sourceModifications,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Do we really care about sourceModifications? Should we generate it for
everything, or will this double up?

That check can also check for the existence of JDK 1.4+ where the bugs in
javadoc are fixed IIRC.

- Brett