Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/16 12:39:08 UTC

FYI: on exotic nodes for our CI

https://reference.apache.org/committer/node-hosting

So if somebody really feels that we need exotic node types... and is
willing to provide such a node and hook it up...

Re: on exotic nodes for our CI

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Achievement "fakespam" unlocked!

On Thu 16 Mar 2017 at 12:43, Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us> wrote:

> Cool info.
>
> But I seriously thought this was a spam message the first 3 times I read
> it.
>
> Subject exotic - check
> link - check
> 1 sentence body - check

Sent from my phone

RE: on exotic nodes for our CI

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.
Cool info.

But I seriously thought this was a spam message the first 3 times I read it.

Subject exotic - check
link - check
1 sentence body - check

Re: FYI: on exotic nodes for our CI

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-03-16 um 19:53 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> Don't be shooting the messenger!

Not my intention.

> I'm suspecting that it would be a case of sponsoring a node on AWS or rack
> space or Google's cloud.
>
> That would have a static IP, could be isolated from any corporate networks
> and there you go!

Infra has tens of Ubuntu nodes, it wouldn't harm to convert to something
else a few ones.

> Another thing we could do is - as a project - ask for budget to run such
> nodes ourselves. No guarantee the board would approve, but if it is
> important to the project, maybe we should ask?

It is worth a try.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Don't be shooting the messenger!

I'm suspecting that it would be a case of sponsoring a node on AWS or rack
space or Google's cloud.

That would have a static IP, could be isolated from any corporate networks
and there you go!

But anyway, this is more that there is a route available... that the route
is rather torturous and full of hazards is a different story... previously
we thought there was not route.

Another thing we could do is - as a project - ask for budget to run such
nodes ourselves. No guarantee the board would approve, but if it is
important to the project, maybe we should ask?

- Stephen
On Thu 16 Mar 2017 at 17:57, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-03-16 um 13:39 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> > https://reference.apache.org/committer/node-hosting
> >
> > So if somebody really feels that we need exotic node types... and is
> > willing to provide such a node and hook it up...
>
> This is somewhat ridiculous. Exotic is HP-UX or AIX, but CentOS, Solaris
> and *BSD are mainstream.
>
> Consider that we invest our free/work time to make this project better I
> see no reason to add hardware at my expense. In fact, most companies
> (including mine) wouldn't even be able to provide nodes because company
> network is behind a VPN.
>
> Michael

Sent from my phone

RE: FYI: on exotic nodes for our CI

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.

Huh, the link is bad on the page. I guess nuderscores are exotic too.

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=infrastructure-puppet.git;a=blob<i>plain;f=modules/build</i>slaves/files/jenkins.pub;hb=HEAD

Should be:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=infrastructure-puppet.git;a=blob_plain;f=modules/build_slaves/files/jenkins.pub;hb=HEAD

Re: FYI: on exotic nodes for our CI