Posted to dev@tez.apache.org by Ming Ma <mi...@twitter.com.INVALID> on 2016/07/12 23:23:25 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Release going forward

Another factor could be when we want to change the hadoop version that Tez
depends on so that Tez can use functionalities from more recent hadoop
distribution. Some examples are TEZ-3340, TEZ-3341 and TEZ-3342.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.
I would caution against bumping up the default hadoop version dependency to say something like 2.8.0 in the near future. Apache Hadoop’s .0 releases unfortunately are not stable as they do not undergo production rollout like testing as part of the release process. Additionally, I think commercial distros have a tendency to lag and a lot of users will therefore be on older versions of Hadoop.

That said, using shims, I don’t see why Tez cannot be deployed against a newer version of Hadoop and potentially make use of newer features ( unless it impacts some core paths such as scheduling related features ).

— Hitesh