Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2005/07/16 02:25:40 UTC

Re: [CLI] using license 1.1 for CLI emergency release

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 16:54 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hmm..well, Digester has "jakarta" here (that's where I got the info
> > from) and it builds fine in gump. But if you're really sure this
> > needs to be updated I'll do it (and digester too).
>
> Gump ignores the information completely.  I guess it is used by the
> Maven Gump plugin, but this one doesn't get used for Digester (or
> CLI).

> >> You mean 2.0, don't you?
> >
> > No I don't. This is a re-release of the 1.0 code with the version
> > number updated to 1.0.1.
>
> Still it would be a release and all releases must use the 2.0 version
> of the license now.

I don't think applying the 2.0 license to code that has already been
released under 1.1 gains anything here. It's IDENTICAL code.

And I think we would be causing users further annoyance by modifying the
source code in any way. It will be annoying enough for them to have to
go through the 1.0 to 1.0.1 upgrade. If they can see, however, that the
version control system has ZERO changes between 1.0 and 1.0.1 for the
source code that will help. If we get in there and change all the files
that will only make the upgrade harder.

This is an EMERGENCY release to fix a nasty distribution problem, not a
regular release.

Regards,

Simon