Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vicky b <vi...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/23 15:44:43 UTC

GC algorithm

HI,

  How can i come to know the GC algorithm used in tomcat... and all GC
configuarations..........

--
*Thanks & Regards
 Vickyb

*

RE: GC algorithm

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: vicky b [mailto:vickyb2084@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: GC algorithm

> why the difference.

To repeat myself:

> Because the objects are no longer reachable in your Tomcat 6
> environment but are in Tomcat 7.  Nothing to do with the GC
> algorithm employed.  Analyze the heap and find out what
> references to the objects of interest are still around.

Do the heap analysis.

 - Chuck

Re: GC algorithm

Posted by vicky b <vi...@gmail.com>.
Both tomcat 6 and tomcat are running on the same machine using same JVM and
as you said
GC algorithms are the province of the JVM  which according to my
understanding means depends upon JVM then why the difference.

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:

> > From: vicky b [mailto:vickyb2084@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: GC algorithm
>
> > then why do i see a difference in behaviour for tomcat 6
> > and tomcat 7 when i undeploy my app the objects that are
> > collected in tomcat6 are not collected in tomcat7?
>
> Because the objects are no longer reachable in your Tomcat 6 environment
> but are in Tomcat 7.  Nothing to do with the GC algorithm employed.  Analyze
> the heap and find out what references to the objects of interest are still
> around.
>
>  - Chuck

> attachments from all computers.

*Thanks & Regards
 Vickyb

*

RE: GC algorithm

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: GC algorithm

Posted by vicky b <vi...@gmail.com>.
then why do i see a difference in behaviour for tomcat 6 and tomcat 7 when i
undeploy my app the objects that are collected in tomcat6 are not collected
in tomcat7?

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <

RE: GC algorithm

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: vicky b [mailto:vickyb2084@gmail.com]
> Subject: GC algorithm

> How can i come to know the GC algorithm used in tomcat...

That's easy: none.  GC algorithms are the province of the JVM, not Tomcat.

> and all GC configuarations..........

Read the JVM doc.

 - Chuck