Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by li...@bi.no on 2000/05/19 14:58:59 UTC

wap example isn't working in wap emulators

Hei,
I have Tomcat3.1b running with cocoon on win2000. Most of the xml pages work
fine in IE or NS, including example-portfolio.xml . But it doesn't work when I
use a wap emulator to read it:
http://myserversIpAddress:8080/xmlsample/wap/example-portfolio.xml

If I use winwap browser,  the error message is: The content retreived is of HTML
type. This can not be shown by the WinWap browser..."

The other browsers I tried is Nokia wap toolkit and other two on the internet:
http://www.gelon.net , http://www.wapjag.com

Anyone has some ideas to work through this? Thanks ahead.

Re: wap example isn't working in wap emulators

Posted by "Marcelo F. Ochoa" <mo...@ieee.org>.
Rafael Oropeza wrote:

>  I made the same question but nobody said nothing. I suppose the
> answer is so obvious that noone are worrying about that. BTW, I still
> think this is a MIME type problem not correctly setting by Cocoon. If
> write a static .wml file into my Apache web server and contact it with
> Nokia Wap toolkit everything runs fine.
>
> Please, if somebody can help, I appreciate it so much.

   I tested Nokia emulator with Cocoon 1.7 under Apache on Win NT and
work fine.
   Marcelo.

PD: If you have problem with the portfolio examples, set the emulator
with debug all and check the log. Probably the User Agent sent by the
emulator is different from User agent list in cocoon.properties file.

Re: wap example isn't working in wap emulators

Posted by Rafael Oropeza <ro...@eud.com>.
The exact  USER_AGENT in my case is (this fragment was taken from acces_log
Apache Web Server Access log file)

10.3.0.6 - - [10/May/2000:12:44:10 -0400] "GET
/samples/wap/example-portfolio.xml HTTP/1.1" 200 1579 "-"
"Nokia-WAP-Toolkit/1.3beta"

So, I wrote this in my cocoon.properties file in many combinations (of
course, not at the same time, just one by one and restarting the server
every time)

1) browser.8 = wap=Nokia-WAP-Toolkit
2) browser.8 = wap=Nokia
3) browser.8 = wap=Nokia-WAP-Toolkit/1.3beta

In my case, my server always return to my Nokia Wap Browser (BTW, this is
another box, not my main apache + cocoon main server) the MIME type
"text/html", firing an error. I revisited mime.types, checked xsp file
(<?xml-stylesheet href="portfolio-wml.xsl" type="text/xsl" media="wap"?>),
also  checked the xsl file (<xsl:processing-instruction
name="cocoon-format">type="text/vnd.wap.wml"</xsl:processing-instruction>)
tryng to write the exact mime type required by Nokia Wap Browser whitout
success. I checked the Nokia toolkit configuration and everything is okay.

What's wrong? My last chance is install jakarta instead jserv and try.

Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION wrote:

> Rafael Oropeza wrote:
> >
> > I made the same question but nobody said nothing. I suppose the answer
> > is so obvious that noone are worrying about that. BTW, I still think
> > this is a MIME type problem not correctly setting by Cocoon. If write
> > a static .wml file into my Apache web server and contact it with Nokia
> > Wap toolkit everything runs fine.
> >
> > Please, if somebody can help, I appreciate it so much.
> >
> > ling.shi@bi.no wrote:
> >
> > > Hei,
> > > I have Tomcat3.1b running with cocoon on win2000. Most of the xml
> > > pages work
> > > fine in IE or NS, including example-portfolio.xml . But it doesn't
> > > work when I
> > > use a wap emulator to read it:
> > > http://myserversIpAddress:8080/xmlsample/wap/example-portfolio.xml
> > >
> > > If I use winwap browser,  the error message is: The content
> > > retreived is of HTML
> > > type. This can not be shown by the WinWap browser..."
>
> Try with a HTML browser and ask for
> http:/...../example-portfolio.xml?user-Agent=Nokia
>
> If there are errors, they will be displayed in a HTML page.
>
> If there are no, try to look at the result (you may have to save
> it to disk before), and check it.
>
> > > The other browsers I tried is Nokia wap toolkit and other two on the
> > > internet:
> > > http://www.gelon.net , http://www.wapjag.com
> > >
> > > Anyone has some ideas to work through this? Thanks ahead.
>
> Do you know what are the exacts USER_AGENT strings ?
> Does they match any browser in cocoon.properties ?
>
> --
> Sebastien Koechlin

Rafael Alberto Oropeza Baudet

(16) Before you can be creative, you must be courageous. Creativity is the
destination, but courage is the journey.
Joey Reiman

Re: wap example isn't working in wap emulators

Posted by Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION <sk...@n-soft.com>.

Posted by Rafael Oropeza <ro...@eud.com>.

ling.shi@bi.no wrote:

> Hei,
> I have Tomcat3.1b running with cocoon on win2000. Most of the xml pages work
> fine in IE or NS, including example-portfolio.xml . But it doesn't work when I
> use a wap emulator to read it:
> http://myserversIpAddress:8080/xmlsample/wap/example-portfolio.xml
>
> If I use winwap browser,  the error message is: The content retreived is of HTML
> type. This can not be shown by the WinWap browser..."
>
> The other browsers I tried is Nokia wap toolkit and other two on the internet:
> http://www.gelon.net , http://www.wapjag.com
>
> Anyone has some ideas to work through this? Thanks ahead.

Rafael Alberto Oropeza Baudet

(48) Let's honor our mistakes by allowing them to teach us. Let's consider our
failings to be gifts, and share them humbly with others. Let the cracks in our
perfect facades let in light and air so that new life can grow through them.
Molly Gordon

Re: wap example isn't working in wap emulators

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
on 5/19/00 7:58 AM, ling.shi@bi.no at ling.shi@bi.no wrote:

> Hei,
> I have Tomcat3.1b running with cocoon on win2000. Most of the xml pages work
> fine in IE or NS, including example-portfolio.xml . But it doesn't work when I
> use a wap emulator to read it:
> http://myserversIpAddress:8080/xmlsample/wap/example-portfolio.xml
>
> If I use winwap browser,  the error message is: The content retreived is of
> HTML
> type. This can not be shown by the WinWap browser..."
>

> The other browsers I tried is Nokia wap toolkit and other two on the internet:
> http://www.gelon.net , http://www.wapjag.com
>
> Anyone has some ideas to work through this? Thanks ahead.

I don't know if this will help or not but get the Tomcat 3.1 final release.
There were some fixes to the headers made that allowed certain headers to
pass through that weren't getting passed through in the beta releases..