Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Liu, Jack" <Ja...@FALCONJET.COM> on 2003/02/12 18:53:19 UTC

[users@httpd] how to setup for download file?

Hi,
  I have .exe files under doc root. When user click the link <a
href="testApp.exe">  it display a bunch of garbage which I assume it is the
binary contents of the .exe file.
   What I want is  let the user download those file to their local drive.
  Any thoughts or direction?

Re: [users@httpd] how to setup for download file?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> Hi,
>   I have .exe files under doc root. When user click the link <a
> href="testApp.exe">  it display a bunch of garbage which I assume it is
the
> binary contents of the .exe file.
>    What I want is  let the user download those file to their local drive.
>   Any thoughts or direction?

you need to setup the MIME type using the ContentType directive.  I think it
should be set to application/octet-stream.

-Jacob

Re: [users@httpd] how to setup for download file?

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@x-mail.net>.
Quoting "Liu, Jack" <Ja...@FALCONJET.COM>:

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C2D2BF.A0A3C8B0
>
> Hi,
>   I have .exe files under doc root. When user click the link <a
> href="testApp.exe">  it display a bunch of garbage which I assume it is the
> binary contents of the .exe file.
>    What I want is  let the user download those file to their local drive.
>   Any thoughts or direction?

point one, change your email client to send plain text not both html and text.
it's wasting data transfer and interferes with those of us that cannot view html
formatted email

make sure apache knows to send a .exe ( winders executable) as application
octect-stream not to send as text, which is what is happening.

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls, Live Chat, X-Mail Messenger,
Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure, Calendar, Bookmarks,
Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, POP3, Ad Free