Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam Jenkins <ma...@adamjenkins.net> on 2005/02/27 22:28:05 UTC

Iterate over validation errors?

Hi All,

Is there a simple way to iterate over all the validation errors.  I
don't want to just do <html:errors..../>  I want to actually for a
page.

Is this possible?  Does anyone have an example I could use?

Cheers
Adam

Re: Iterate over validation errors?

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
Heh, just ignore everything I wrote and listen to Joe.

:)

Erik

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

RE: Iterate over validation errors?

Posted by Joe Hertz <jh...@speakeasy.net>.
There's one improvement on that method:

errors.prefix=<li>
errors.suffix=</li>

So you don't need to put the markup into each error definition in your
properties file.

If you don't want markup in it at all, you can do something like

<logic:messagesPresent>
<UL>
 <LI><bean:write name="error"/></LI>
</UL>
</logic:messagesPresent>

Ted has a good page on this:

http://husted.com/struts/tips/017.html

> Is there a simple way to iterate over all the validation errors.  I
> don't want to just do <html:errors..../>  I want to actually for a
> page.
> Is this possible?  Does anyone have an example I could use?

Do you _really_ want to iterate over the validation errors, or do you just
want the output to be a bulleted list?  If all you want is the <ul><li> tags

around your errors, this works:

ApplicationResources.properties:
   errors.integer=<li>{0} must be an integer.</li>
   error.no.userId=<li>User ID does not exist</li>
   error.no.email=<li>No email address on file</li>
   errors.header=<ul>
   errors.footer=</ul>

somePage.jsp:
(The 'error' style just sets the font and turns it red, it's not required.)

I'm interested to know if there's a better way to do this-- putting markup
in the .properties file doesn't seem "right" to me.

HTH,
Wendy Smoak

Re: Iterate over validation errors?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Adam Jenkins" <ma...@adamjenkins.net>

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
You could leave errors.header and errors.footer blank, and then wrap
your html:errors with the markup. Somewhere in the properties file
you're going to have to at least specify (markup) that you are using a
bulleted list if I'm not mistaken. There also is a way that you could
iterate over the individual error messages as you suggest. Then you
could have no markup in the properties file. See the docs for the
html:errors and html:messages tags.

Erik

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
Here are a couple of old posts I saved that might help too:

At 5:10 PM -0500 11/8/04, Erik Weber wrote:

> Here is a way to do it that works with 1.1:
>
> <logic:messagesPresent name="org.apache.struts.action.ERROR"
> property="username">
> <bean:message key="error.username.required"/>
> </logic:messagesPresent>

Omitting the "name" attribute in this would have the same effect as
including it - it's the default.  It's suggested that if you are storing
messages in your actions using "saveErrors" or "saveMessages" (or
dealing with validation errors, which are stored as if using
"saveErrors") then you shouldn't specify "name" literally; instead, you
can either rely on the default (to get errors) or use the "message"
attribute with a value of "true" (to get saveMessages messages) or
"false" (to get errors -- that is, the default behavior).  This helps to
"encapsulate" the logic of how Struts handles those messages, and makes
your JSP a bit less verbose also.

Additionally, your code above assumes that the nature of the error
message is such that you know that the user should be shown the
"error.username.required" message -- it's probably more flexible to let
the validation/error handling framework create an ActionMessage object
with that key itself, and then you would use the messages object; this
way if any other error should come up (say you add a max-length
restriction, or forbidden characters), then you don't have to change
your JSP.

In another response I demonstrated how html:messages can be used to
achieve the same result you had above, plus this added flexibility I
mention.

Some people still like to use "html:errors", which predates
html:messages and which has a slightly different syntax for providing
any HTML which might "wrap" your messages.  Personally, I prefer
html:messages.

None of this changed from Struts 1.1 to Struts 1.2.

Hope this helps,
    Joe

Not sure if that tag has changed for 1.2.

Erik

Struts User wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently, I am using struts validator to validate the fields in my
> ActionForm.
> Before I updated to struts 1.2.4, I could add an error this way -
> errors.add(
> "username", new ActionError("error.username.required"));
>
> If the validation failed, the error message for username will be
> displayed right beside the user name text field if I use <P>Username:
>
> Can someone tell me how to display error message beside an input field
> using struts validator?
>
> Thanks,
> Lee

The "other response" Joe mentioned I think was this one:

At 3:49 PM -0600 11/8/04, Struts User wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently, I am using struts validator to validate the fields in my
> ActionForm.
>
> Before I updated to struts 1.2.4, I could add an error this way -
> errors.add(
> "username", new ActionError("error.username.required"));
>
> If the validation failed, the error message for username will be
> displayed right beside the user name text field if I use <P>Username:
>
> Can someone tell me how to display error message beside an input field
> using struts validator?

I've never seen any automatic message placement.  You can access
messages like this:

html:messages is effectively a combination logic/iterator tag.  If there
are any "username" messages in the ActionMessages object saved as the
"errors" messages, the body of html:messages will be evaluated once for
each, with a scripting variable of type String defined with the name
specified in the "id" attribute.  You can use c:out or bean:write to
display this value, wrapped with span, div, or other tags which format
your messages correctly.

I kind of think someone talked on the list once about making something
which rendered an HTML "label" tag and which was also "smart" about the
presence of errors.  I like the idea of something like that in general,
but wonder if you'd be able to specify something suitably general for
inclusion in Struts.  Seems like it might be better left for local
development.

Joe

But I think Niall recently mentioned some improvements in this area in
1.2.6 . . .

Erik

Posted by Adam Jenkins <ma...@adamjenkins.net>.

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.