Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Crellin <da...@uts.edu.au> on 2008/02/07 02:08:55 UTC

[users@httpd] URI file extensions / suffixes

Hi,

Firstly I would like to apologise for sending what is probably
considered a remedial question, however I have some web admins that are
demanding resolution immediately, have looked around the web and as yet
have not found a resolution.

I'm running apache 1.3.23 in a Solaris 10 environment. The problem I am
having is enforcing the use of extensions / suffixes in a given URL
which is causing problems with search indexing carried out by a google
appliance.

I need to know how to force apache to require the filename extension eg.
when the URL is in the format http://someaddress/foo I would rather a
page not found than the return of foo.html. At first I thought this
would be associated with mime.types however when I disable mime.types
and MimeMagic I still have not joy. Other than that the only resolution
I have found on the web seems to be associated with rewrites but surely
there is an easier way.

Thanks in advance for any clues on this one

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If

Think. Green. Do.

RE: [users@httpd] URI file extensions / suffixes

Posted by David Crellin <da...@uts.edu.au>.
Thanks Joshua

Regards,

David Crellin

> Firstly I would like to apologise for sending what is probably
> considered a remedial question, however I have some web admins that
> are demanding resolution immediately, have looked around the web and
> as yet have not found a resolution.
>
> I'm running apache 1.3.23 in a Solaris 10 environment. The problem I
> am having is enforcing the use of extensions / suffixes in a given URL
> which is causing problems with search indexing carried out by a google
> appliance.
>
> I need to know how to force apache to require the filename extension
> eg. when the URL is in the format http://someaddress/foo I would
> rather a page not found than the return of foo.html. At first I
> thought this would be associated with mime.types however when I
> disable mime.types and MimeMagic I still have not joy. Other than that
> the only resolution I have found on the web seems to be associated
> with rewrites but surely there is an easier way.
>
> Thanks in advance for any clues on this one

Remove "Multiviews" from all your Options directives in httpd.conf.

By the way, 1.3.23 is ancient. You likely have security problems, among
others.

Joshua.

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney. Before

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.