Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Iman Elghandour <ie...@yahoo.com> on 2009/03/19 00:25:59 UTC

Outputting the Pig plans into a file

Hello,
I have been trying to output pig plans into a file as described in http://wiki.apache.org/pig/PigMultiQueryPerformanceSpecification

I am using the multiquery branch.
When I use the syntax described in the documentation, it returns an error "encounter <IDENTIFIER> "into" .
For example, I would say:
A= some query
explain A into outFile

I digged into the code, mainly: org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.PigScriptParser.java and org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.PigScriptParser.jj

I found that the syntax should be EXPLAIN OUT  "file" alias. Well, I tried this but it failed as well. The returned error is:  "Unable to find an operator for alias out". So I doubted that it is not recognizing the out as a keyword so I debugged the code. It turned to be that when it consumes the token OUT, an exception is raised in org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.PigScriptParser.java: getNextToken() line 2627  and the token kind is assumed to be 101.

I am not sure if the syntax i am using is wrong, I have tried a couple of variations but none of them worked for me. Or it is a bug.
Please advise me how I can do it.

Thanks,
Iman

Re: Outputting the Pig plans into a file

Posted by Gunther Hagleitner <ha...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Iman,

The syntax was recently changed in the multiquery dev branch to:
explain -out outFile A.

In PigScriptParser.jj: You were looking in the right place, but the OUT
token is defined as "-out".

I'll update the draft spec.

Thanks,
Gunther.