Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Devraj Mukherjee <de...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/07 06:53:04 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy and POST requests

Hi all,

I am using Apache as a reverse proxy to proxy Lotus iNotes 8.5.1.
iNotes is moving to an Ajax based interface which uses JSON strings to
fetch data from the server.

A particular requests happens to be a POST request and the proxy fails
to proxy the request.

Reading the documentation suggests that this is know problem with
mod_proxy (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy.html,
Request Bodies section).

Is there a work around for this?

Any pointers / suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy and POST requests

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 07.09.2010 11:27, Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Rainer Jung<ra...@kippdata.de>  wrote:
>> On 07.09.2010 06:53, Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
>>>
>>> A particular requests happens to be a POST request and the proxy fails
>>> to proxy the request.
>>>
>>> Reading the documentation suggests that this is know problem with
>>> mod_proxy (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy.html,
>>> Request Bodies section).
>>
>> No, it doesn't suggest that. It usually works.
>>
>> What do you exactly mean by "fail"? Can you increase the log level of Apache
>> to debug, retry and post the error log lines written when handling the
>> "failed" request? Caution: debug produces lots of output, so best to use a
>> test system on which you can reproduce "fails".
>>

> Rainer, my bad. I meant I get a 400 Bad Request.
>
> Will see if I can increase the verbosity of the logs.

OK, it would be interesting, whether the reverse proxy itself sees a bad
request, or the origin (backend) server.

One possibility for such a bad request could be having a content-length
header plus transfer encoding chunked. Remember we always have to
distinguish whether we are talking about the original request received
by the proxy, or the request send from the proxy to the origin server.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy and POST requests

Posted by Devraj Mukherjee <de...@gmail.com>.