Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/04 04:40:15 UTC

Is there any plan to migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?

Now we are using karaf as OSGI runtime. Karaf has its own shell which is
based on RFC 139 command service.  Karaf shell uses blueprint and a set of
util abstract classes to provide a easy to use program model  for new
commands.

Geronimo 2.x has its own shell which

   - bases on gshell
   - uses groovy to define commands.(I don't kown why but I don't like this)
   - uses classworld to bootstrap itself
   - uses a serverProxy to provide geronimo server startup/stop commands.
   - uses JMX to invoke jsr88 implementation to provide applications
   deploy/undeploy/distribution commands.
   - uses JMX to get plugin installer GBean instance to provide plugin
   install and customized assemblely commands.

I found that all the gshell bootstrap files in geronimo_home/etc has been
removed in geronimo 3.0 framework.   Is there any plan  to migrate existing
geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?

--
Shawn

Re: Is there any plan to migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Karaf's shell muck is based on gshell, with some of the internals
ripped out and using gogo, so I agree it should not be too difficult.

--jason

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 4, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> We could also mention that GShell is deprecated (or some better
> disclaimer/wording) in the 2.2 Release Notes, since it hasn't been
> released yet.....

It isn't?  It's not a snapshot release.  I certainly consider it the
only reasonable way to start/use 2.2.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
En, we need more discussion here:

I found a new shell base module in geronimo 3.0 framework added by David.J

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/framework/modules/geronimo-shell-base

Which are providing configuration and kernel related command util according
to typical *karaf *command program model.

*David*,

Can you share your ideas on the how shell should be in G3.0 ?

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shawn Jiang wrote:
>
>> Now we are using karaf as OSGI runtime. Karaf has its own shell which is
>> based on RFC 139 command service.  Karaf shell uses blueprint and a set of
>> util abstract classes to provide a easy to use program model  for new
>> commands.
>>

>> Geronimo 2.x has its own shell which
>>
>>    * bases on gshell
>>    * uses groovy to define commands.(I don't kown why but I don't
>>      like this)
>>    * uses classworld to bootstrap itself
>>    * uses a serverProxy to provide geronimo server startup/stop commands.
>>    * uses JMX to invoke jsr88 implementation to provide applications
>>      deploy/undeploy/distribution commands.
>>    * uses JMX to get plugin installer GBean instance to provide
>>      plugin install and customized assemblely commands.
>>

>> I found that all the gshell bootstrap files in geronimo_home/etc has been
>> removed in geronimo 3.0 framework.   Is there any plan  to migrate existing
>> geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?
>>
> I don't believe there's any plan to migrate away from gshell to using the
> karaf shell (at least yet).  I'm a little concerned about breaking any
> custom commands/scripts that may have been written for prior Geronimo
> releases, so there's a bit of a balancing act involved here.

Got it , Thanks

> I suspect we might want to explore keeping the existing geronimo shell, but
> see if it is possible for it to invoke commands built using the Karaf
> infrastructure.

To call Karaf command from existing geronimo shell.  we have to change the
current geronimo shell bootstrap from classworld to osgi firstly.  And then
figure out a way to add some bridge code in geronimo shell.

 This would allow us to reuse existing Karaf commands and allow new commands
> to be written using the Karaf programming model.

I'm wondering can we migrate all existing geronimo commands to karaf shell.
 and then use gshell-karaf bridge to call them to provide legacy gshell
interface.  So that two set of commands mode are co-existing.

We can recommend the users to use karaf shell from geronimo 3.0.  When it
get popular, the gshell can be optional or be removed in future release
someday.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone, I created a JIRA to track this:

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:
>
>  Currently, here are different opinions on how G3.0 shell should go:
>>
>> 1, Remove gshell completely, migrate all existing commands to karaf
>> console.
>>      Pros:  Minimize the server size.  Bring a clean, easy to use command
>> program model.
>>

> I'm not sure it's significantly different from gshell

"minimize" here is relative with the second option.   I did some
investigation.  IMO,writing new karaf command is easier than writing new
commands with current geronimo shell.

>      Cons: Break users existing shell.

How?  If we give the commands the same name we can provide a unix shell
> script called gsh and any gshell scripts should still work....
>
> I don't know how to use unix shell to pass parameters to karaf shell to
execute tasks for now. I'll do more research on this to figure it out.

>> 2, Keep gshell as it was, add a gshell-karaf bridge to call karaf commands
>> in gshell.
>>      Pros:  Enlarge the server size. Bring a more complex command
>> infrastructure.
>>      Cons: Without breaking users existing shell.
>>
>> Does anyone have another thoughts on this ?  Maybe we need a vote for this
>> someday.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now we are using karaf as OSGI runtime. Karaf has its own shell which is
>> based on RFC 139 command service.  Karaf shell uses blueprint and a set of
>> util abstract classes to provide a easy to use program model  for new
>> commands.
>>

>> Geronimo 2.x has its own shell which
>>        • bases on gshell
>>        • uses groovy to define commands.(I don't kown why but I don't like
>> this)
>>        • uses classworld to bootstrap itself
>>

> these don't seem important to me

        • uses a serverProxy to provide geronimo server startup/stop
>> commands.
>>
>>        • uses JMX to invoke jsr88 implementation to provide applications
>> deploy/undeploy/distribution commands.
>>        • uses JMX to get plugin installer GBean instance to provide plugin
>> install and customized assemblely commands.
>>

> I think any replacement will do these the same way

yes, I just listed them here for references.

>> I found that all the gshell bootstrap files in geronimo_home/etc has been
>> removed in geronimo 3.0 framework.   Is there any plan  to migrate existing
>> geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?
>>

> I figured we'd do it sooner or later....

Thanks, maybe that's why you added *shell-base* project to provide basic
util classes with karaf command.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> Currently, here are different opinions on how G3.0 shell should go:
>
> 1, Remove gshell completely, migrate all existing commands to karaf
> console.
>       Pros:  Minimize the server size.  Bring a clean, easy to use
> command program model.

I'm not sure it's significantly different from gshell
>       Cons: Break users existing shell.
How?  If we give the commands the same name we can provide a unix
shell script called gsh and any gshell scripts should still work....

> 2, Keep gshell as it was, add a gshell-karaf bridge to call karaf
> commands in gshell.
>       Pros:  Enlarge the server size. Bring a more complex command
> infrastructure.
>       Cons: Without breaking users existing shell.
>
> Does anyone have another thoughts on this ?  Maybe we need a vote
> for this someday.
>
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Now we are using karaf as OSGI runtime. Karaf has its own shell
> which is based on RFC 139 command service.  Karaf shell uses
> blueprint and a set of util abstract classes to provide a easy to
> use program model  for new commands.
>

> Geronimo 2.x has its own shell which
> 	• bases on gshell
> 	• uses groovy to define commands.(I don't kown why but I don't like
> this)
> 	• uses classworld to bootstrap itself

these don't seem important to me
> 	• uses a serverProxy to provide geronimo server startup/stop
> commands.
> 	• uses JMX to invoke jsr88 implementation to provide applications
> deploy/undeploy/distribution commands.
> 	• uses JMX to get plugin installer GBean instance to provide plugin
> install and customized assemblely commands.

I think any replacement will do these the same way

> I found that all the gshell bootstrap files in geronimo_home/etc has
> been removed in geronimo 3.0 framework.   Is there any plan  to
> migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell
> in geronimo 3.0 ?

I figured we'd do it sooner or later....
thanks
david jencks

> --
> Shawn

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Nov 4, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:
> Geronimo 2.x has its own shell which
> bases on gshell
> uses groovy to define commands.(I don't kown why but I don't like
> this)
BTW, I only used Groovy for the launching commands because of the nice
integration with Ant... and because of the desire to have platform
independent scripts to control muck on launch.

The rest of those commands should probably have been pure Java.

--jason

Re: Is there any plan to migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now we are using karaf as OSGI runtime. Karaf has its own shell which is
> based on RFC 139 command service.  Karaf shell uses blueprint and a set of
> util abstract classes

typo, it should be  Standard command line interface  "RFC 147" instead of
RFC 139 here.

--
Shawn