Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> on 2014/06/26 17:56:56 UTC

[VOTE] Storm Bylaws try 2

I have updated the proposed bylaws following Nathan and Taylor’s suggestions.  They the only parts edited were the title to indicate that these are proposed bylaws and will not officially be adopted until we are a top level project, and  the voting on code changes to reflect that a +1 from the author of the patch is not counted.

You can find them here.

https://github.com/revans2/incubator-storm/blob/bylaws/BYLAWS.md

The new voting is consensus approval with (P)PMC members casting binding votes.

- Bobby

Re: [VOTE] Storm Bylaws try 2

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I just put up https://github.com/apache/incubator-storm/pull/173 for this.

Re: [VOTE] Storm Bylaws try 2

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Re: [VOTE] Storm Bylaws try 2

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
I agree completely!

I think adding “work in progress” or “DRAFT” in the title will prevent any confusion. And maybe cancel the vote and treat it more like a patch for now. Then when it’s time to formally adopt the bylaws, we can hold the official vote.

Re: [VOTE] Storm Bylaws try 2

Posted by Nathan Marz <na...@nathanmarz.com>.

--
Twitter: @nathanmarz
http://nathanmarz.com

Re: [VOTE] Storm Bylaws try 2

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
I’m +1.

I think with Bobby’s latest changes it makes it abundantly clear that it is a working draft, and we are not voting to adopt them. I see this as a vote to pull the draft into source control so individual changes can be proposed and discussed as opposed to trying to approve the document in it’s entirety.

Trying to get everything right all at once places undue burden on Bobby — a veto forces him to cancel the vote, interpret the comments, reword things to address the comments, and initiate a new vote. Bobby was kind enough to put it together in the first place.

I think it would be more efficient if we just staged it in source control (we wouldn’t have to publish it to the website), and allow people to collaborate by proposing changes/patches that can be discussed and applied individually. Again, the document doesn’t carry any weight until it is finalized and formally adopted.

> Lastly, I want to address something that Taylor said in the previous
> discussion:
>
> 'Understood. Also be aware that lazy consensus can be invoked for code
> changes by declaring so in the pull request: “I will assume lazy consensus
> on this and commit the change in X hours if there are no -1 votes.”

That should have read “days” instead of “hours,” so it came across a little more drastic than intended...

Re: [VOTE] Storm Bylaws try 2

Posted by Nathan Marz <na...@nathanmarz.com>.
-1 (binding)

--
Twitter: @nathanmarz
http://nathanmarz.com

Re: [VOTE] Storm Bylaws try 2

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
Sorry forgot to mention that the voting will be open for 1 week, and will
close Thursday July 3rd.  Also anyone in the community is encouraged to
vote, even if your vote is not binding.  This helps us all know how the
community feels.

- Bobby