Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brian Hart <BH...@mail.nysed.gov> on 2003/04/24 22:10:14 UTC

Tiles and MetaData Approach

Has anyone experienced a metadata management problem when leveraging jsp
includes in general or specifically tiles in our case where a header.jsp
 tile 'owns' the <head> </head> tags, but your dynamic content tile
'knows' the metadata for this particular page instance? How does the
'dynamic content' generically pass its metadata to the header to be
rendered correctly inside the <head/> tag?

For example, we are receiving content from a Content Management System
that is responsible for publishing static 'body-content' from a
database.  We will know nothing until runtime that the content exists.
We have thought of a process to 'extract' the metadata (XPath, naming
conventions in comment tags for example) from the body-content tile and
passing it to the header tile.  Any input would be
appreciated.

-Brian

Re: Tiles and MetaData Approach

Posted by Dan Allen <da...@mojavelinux.com>.
> too many for my taste.  Second, you can change parameters for the
--------------------------------------^^^
can't

Dan

Daniel Allen, <da...@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/

Re: Tiles and MetaData Approach

Posted by Dan Allen <da...@mojavelinux.com>.
Brian Hart (BHART2@mail.nysed.gov) wrote:

> Has anyone experienced a metadata management problem when leveraging jsp
> includes in general or specifically tiles in our case where a header.jsp
>  tile 'owns' the <head> </head> tags, but your dynamic content tile
> 'knows' the metadata for this particular page instance? How does the
> 'dynamic content' generically pass its metadata to the header to be
> rendered correctly inside the <head/> tag?
>
> For example, we are receiving content from a Content Management System
> that is responsible for publishing static 'body-content' from a
> database.  We will know nothing until runtime that the content exists.
> We have thought of a process to 'extract' the metadata (XPath, naming
> conventions in comment tags for example) from the body-content tile and
> passing it to the header tile.  Any input would be
> appreciated.

This is the exact reason I am going back to specifying the tile
definition to use in my jsp page.  Because you are cramped in a
corner using the tiles-definition.xml tag for two reasons.
Everytime you add a page you have to edit 2 configuration files, one
too many for my taste.  Second, you can change parameters for the
tiles at runtime, or if you do, then you are mixing settings into
two different tiles.  To me it is messy.  I love tiles, I hate
tiles-defs.xml, simple as that.